1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good combo of amp and speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rhon, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    Im looking for a good amp that's relatively cheap. I play in a punk band with just a drummer and a guitarist. I want to be able to fill in the sound and im not sure whats the best way to go about this. my current rig is a gk 400rb combo with a 15inch speaker and an avatar b210. the guitarist uses a 4x12 with a 100 watt head, he has a massive sound that feels up a lot but i feel my rig doesn't compete very well unless i crank then i start clipping and overheating( overheated at my last gig and the amp shut off). i keep hearing about the ampeg pf500 and i tried it out but it doesn't seem that loud with the ampeg 15 inch speaker. i was thinking of maybe an acoustic 4x10 and a cheap amp head because im on a tight budget. id rather have a good head and ok speakers and upgrade to better speakers later. so yea what are good combinations of amp heads and speakers. i hope i gave enough details. :help:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bad idea skimping on the speakers. That's your whole problem. Competing with a 412 cranked hard isn't easy with a 210 and 115 or a 410. I'd get an 810 to compete with that. I would also look into more wattage as well, but you have a lot more to gain with more cab than more wattage. And you can use a cheap head with good speakers and it'll still sound good. The reverse is not true.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    +1. 412s cranked hard is LOUD. Not a job for the typical 210 + 115. Get at least a good 215 like a Dually or other big cabs.

4. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    This calls for something serious. Methinks a super-cab is in order. If you wonder what I mean by "super-cab", that's the general term I assign to speaker cabinets that can move air equivalent to, or greater than an Ampeg 810. You can get a number of configurations to suit your needs, but overall, you need to spend on the speakers. Hell, I'd wager that 400RB holds it's own surprisingly well with the right cab. NOTE, I said "hold it's own", not crush. :D

5. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Also, the 215s need to be something with a huge XMax, like a Kappalite or an faital.

6. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Option B: Tell your guitar player to get 30 watt amp. Unless youre playing 10,000 seat arenas, he doesnt need 100 watts and a 412. It probably sounds like dog poop because to get the tubes to overdrive he would need to play at ear splitting level. If you like the sound of your rig, theres probably nothing wrong with it. You have a guitar player who knows nothing about gear unfortunately.

If youre dead set on buying something then youll need to get a 300 watt tube head and 810 cab. But I can guarantee you that the volume wars that will ensue will run off audiences or deafen them.

7. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    For the record, I still say more "MOAR BASS AMP!" is a better answer than "less guitar amp". :D

8. How does your guitar player feel about turning down a bit? It's not like your rig isn't big enough to put on a good show in a bar.

+1 to Jimmy's comments. Good cabs are the key. I don't like multiple 10's unless it's 2x10 stacked vertically. BFM or Fearful diy for the win.

9. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    the volume is fine hes not cranked, i am.

I over heated at our last gig and ive been getting speaker breakage. As a band, being a 3 piece, we try to sound full and everyone has semi pro gear except me. hes using a solid state amp. I tested the 15 vs the 2x10 and i liked the sound of the 10s a lot more than 15s. so id rather go 4x10 or 2x10 but if everyone says i need more speakers then i guess a 4x10 is better. ive found a gk gold line 4x10 at guitar center used for 200 is that a good cab? i really like my avatar b210 but i doubt i could get a 4x10 for 200

10. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    basically im looking for a cab thatll have a lot of spread i have an avatar b210 so would another avatar b210 be good for a 4x10? or should i add a 4x10 to make it a 6x10? and im looking for an amp that wont overheat and thatll be able to provide me clean power and if a cheap amp is where i need to be is the ampeg pf500 good?

11. You will run into power handling mismatch problems trying to add a 4x10 to a 2x10. The only thing worth adding to a 4x10 is another 4x10.

You haven't said much about your gigs. Presumably your amp is doing the whole job with no PA for bass? The dispersion of side by side tens is truly crappy.

12. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    no pa support except on vocals, ocasionally theres pa support but i want a rig that could make it without support for other gigs.. so would just a single 4x10 cut it? i dont think an amp would cause it to have mismatch problems given that i dont plan on going past 500 watts so thats 250 watts to each cab unless my understanding is wrong.

13. May as well get the 2nd 2x10 same as the one you have. Any way you dice it it won't be a lot louder than your current rig. Maybe 3dB tops from increasing your wattage up to the max the 2x10 handles. That's 1 click louder.

14. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1. I am not as experienced, but JimmyM definitely has good advice (at least here :p).

You can get good used speakers for not too much - but you'd better be willing to move them (stair journeys suck:scowl:).

If you have a lot more dosh, a fEARful or similar 'super' stack will be lighter an easier to move - and be insanely loud like the best 810's (if not better - depends on what you think is better). Not very cheap though.

P.S. a 410 won't match a cranked 412 in my very limited experience. You can't get the 410 to face you, the band and the crowd while still coupling with the stage AFAIK.

15. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Dude, you need more speakers. Look used, there are 810s out there cheap. I've got my eye on one around here for 250. Old beat up peavey. If only my truck would stop breaking down. Keep your eyes open, there are deals to be had. Low budget sucks but if your only looking to spend a few hundred, you better be checking craigslist, or whatever you have, constantly!

16. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    i wont be able to fit a 8x10 in our van with all the other gear, i could fit a 4x10 and maybe, just maybe fit the 2x10 as well
    by the way:
    whats a good amp head to push my speakers, i tried the ampeg pf500 and i love that ampeg tone and it was connected to an acoustic 4x10 and it was very loud, but when i tried it with the portaflex 15 in speaker it seemed suuuuper quiet.

17. Did the settings on the amp change? there is a lot of hidden volume in the gain and EQ on that amp. Furthermore I think the 410 is ported which adds low end, and a 410 can be a more sensitive cab with greater power handling as well.

I really dig my pf-500 and my 15/6.

18. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Sorry about my previous post, you responded while I was typing it.

410 and a 15 - Bad combination. Look it up on Talkbass and you will see why. Stick to the same cabs. The 410 will always handle more power while the 15 will never keep up. When used together, you can only turn the rig as loud as the 15 will go - even though the 410 can keep going.

Ampeg PF500 is a cool head. Combined with the Acoustic 410 could be the ticket you need.

Where do you live? I am certain someone on here can check craigslist.org for you and find something better used at a GREAT price.

19. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    i think ill go with the ampeg pf 500 then

also idk if my understanding is correct about spl, but has anyone ever used this to calculate spl? http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/calculadores_en.htm it does it in db.

it seems you could either have a lot of speakers and low watts or vice versa to re create the same spl

20. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    if you think the ampeg pf500 and acoustic 4x10 could do it then i hope youre right, i really just needed a confirmation on what to get, it seems at minimal you need a 4x10 or a 2x15 to compete in a loud rock situation, but i think my last question is what if i add a 2x10 to my 4x10 is this a bad idea? the acoustic pushes 400 watts and the avatar b210 pushes 700 watts and the head will do 250 watts each speaker so is there a problem with this setup? by the way thanks for all the help guys