Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good compact cab for my vintage SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Detonation, Jan 18, 2006.

1. I've got a early seventies SVT, with the 8x10 cab, but the cab is far too large for me to take to all gigs.

So, I'm looking for a very compact setup as well. 4x10 would be an option, but even smaller would be... even nicer.

I've hear a lot of positive stories about Avatar and Schroeder cabs here, which suits, since a dealer nearby sells those (exclusively!). What would you recommend to pair up with the SVT? It doesn't have to be insanely loud, but it does need the power for a relatively small stage and it should be able to deal with the SVT. I like a tight and punchy sound. And the cab should be 4 ohms!

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    What matters most, less actual MASS, or less WEIGHT? Cause the SVT-610HLF sounds just about as loud (but not quite) as the SVT-810E and weighs 50lbs less. It also has the handle, and wheels and makes it a snap to move around...

3. Sounds like the new Schroeder410 Light might be up your alley.... 4ohms, very small (smaller than a typical 410), lightweight (about 55 pounds), and seems like it would be a good match to the SVT. I have not played the lights yet, but like the 'regular' Schroeder's a lot. Jorg is a rocker and is very helpful in matching the appropriate cab to a playing style and head.... email him through his site or PM him. I know Jorg uses the 'regular' version 1212 (which is smaller than a 210) with an Ag750 for his larger gigs playing classic rock.

I know the BergNV line (which I understand is now discontinued) is a somewhat smaller and higher quality classic sealed cab thing... but they are still large and heavy. I assume some will start coming up on the used market soon.

4. It's mainly the space that's limited. Weight is not a major concern.

5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i use an old svt through a pair of aguilar gs 1x12's with a loud rock band(2 guitar half stacks) and it sounds fantastic. the cabs take the svt cranked no problem.
    both cabs together probably weigh less than the head, and the footprint is much smaller than a 4x10.
    cheers
    doug

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Aggie 212 would be my choice. For the record, I think the Bergie NV 610 is still around.

7. I would highly recommend that you give a listen to the Bergie NV610!! I also like the GS112 in multiples idea, I use a GS112 with my T-Funk for smaller stuff and an Aggie 750 with an NV610 on the bigger stuff...both are GREAT rigs, the GS112 rig is a lot more modern sounding while the 750/610 nails the Vintage Vibe....For what its worth, I carried a 72' SVT and a 73' 8X10 around for about 11 years and the 750/NV610 make me remember why!!:hyper:

Peace,

T

8. Thank for the feedback. The problem is I live in the Netherlands and Bergantino and Aguilar are extremely hard to come by. So are Schroeder and Avatar, but a guy living close to me decided to start importing the latter ones, so I can check out those.

Buying an other head as well is not an option at the moment (no $).

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

but Tommy's suggestion for the GS112 pair is tempting as well.

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    How about a pair of bagend 15"s? Lots of air moved & very compact.

11. I am looking for the same type of cab, I'm currently using a SWR Goliath SR. but I need something smaller...thanks for all the answers...:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

That Schroeder410 Light sounds tempting...

12. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
  13. The Schroeder410 light sounds tempting indeed, but it will probably be too expensive. A pair of 12" sounds as a good idea as well.

I'm not sure about 15" speaker. I play kinda fast and found many 15" cabs to be a bit too full and slow for my type of music. Love 'm for other styles though, but for now I'd really like 12" or 10".

Problem is, the dealer doesn't have all model in stock, he's expecting a load in February so hopefully I'll have enough choice then.

14. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    We won't go into the physics here, but fifteens are no "slower" than any other driver.

Jaco was kinda fast & he played through 18"s ;)

15. Maybe, let's just say the sound is not what I'm looking for ;)

16. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Schroeder 310212 (or Light), might as well go all out and be a loud SOB. :bag:

or two Avatar cabs, which would be less expensive.

17. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hey there,

For you who lives in Europe, you could also consider Tech Soundsystems, amazing light and powerful cabs at a quite reasonable price :
    www.tech-soundsystems.de
    4x10"=1200 W= 25 kg
    :)

European Schroeder distributor is also pretty cool :
    www.woodandtronics.com

Good luck

Sheers

18. danis

danis

Jun 7, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I took my schroeder 410 from woodandtronics and i am very happy from the service.
    Enrico is as good as Jorg and i recommend him for any european who want to buy a Schroeder cabinet.

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    very interesting thanks for sharing. do they sound good at the point of breakup and beyond? how do you set the tweeters?

20. Cool man, thanks for the link. The Tech soundsystems stuff looks good as well. Hope I can save the money for a good Schroeder cab, they're not so cheap :(