Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good compact tuner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dougray, Feb 22, 2005.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    before i go to my local music store i wanted to ask you TBr's before i purchase a tuner-(one i can carry in my guitar case) that will tune a 5str. bass and be able to tune (sharps) half step down,etc.for around 50bux.
    any info..thanx

2. Well, for @ 50 bucks (give or take 20-ish) think Korg, Sabine, BOSS

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I use the Seiko ST737. It does guitar and bass fine with auto-sense of the notes. However, I find that the LCD needle really jumps around alot.

If I tune when another instrument is playing, it jumps back and forth as if the unit is picking up both the signal on the 1/4 plug attached to my tuner out AND the acoustic signal from the built in mic.

The handheld KORG with the multiple LED's seems to work better. Sorry, don't know the model.

So, while I can recommend it if you're only spending $20 as I did, I can't recommend it vs. others at higher price points.

4. I've got the Korg CA-30. I think it's a great little tuner and I use it for bass, electric and acoustic guitar. It's chromatic so you'll have all the sharps and flats and can be adjusted up to 30 cents below and and above.

5. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    thats exactly what i purchased is the Korg CA-30 it works great,and only 19bux..the local music store had a dozen or so tuners ,he rocommended the korg and the "step up" from the CA-30 would be the DT3(which is 79bux!)..thanx for replies.. :bassist:

6. Get a black one for the 'serious musician' look. Seiko also works well. NOT Qwik tune.

7. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    korg DT3 (i believe that is the model #) is good too.

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I've got one of those little blue Guyatone tuners. Works great and it is extremely small.

9. Wings

Wings

Feb 6, 2005
    Bellport, NY
    Take a look at the Korg DT-10 before you make up your mind. It works great. It fits fine in the pocket of my gig bag along with a couple of cords and other stuff I drag around, but it is a little larger than some. The big thing is that it's very easy to see and use.

Wings

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Another Vote for the Korg ones - Dirt cheap and chromatic; use them to do my setups when I'm at church becxase I'm so cheap I don't have a tuner (ah, my head has learned what the E sounds like anyways...)...use that and a Boss when my friends got ti around.

The Korg is tiny though...