1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good compressor or VT Bass FIRST?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LilRay, Feb 6, 2016.

1. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    I'm curious which you would buy first and why?

I have the Ampeg PF 500 head and the 210/115 stack if that makes a difference.

God bless, Ray

2. Depends what you want or need - those are two totally different effects. Maybe you don't need either one.

What are you wanting/needing/trying to do with an effect?

DwaynieAD likes this.
  3. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    vt. if you're definitely getting that you can test drive compressors on the shopping list with it

4. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Well, you're right, I don't NEED either of them. But I would like to even out my playing, warm and or fatten the tone (depending on your particular verbiage) by adding a tube sounding pedal. A slight amount of overdrive would be a bonus.

God bless , Ray

5. Tech21 character series adds quite a bit of compression.

Tigerpig, hintz and El Pelusa like this.
  6. Grab a dirty comp like the Fairfield Accountant.

Fairfield The Accountant

However, if you hadn't added "slight amount of overdrive" at the end, I would have suggested a Diamond.

Diamond BCP-1

Both are reasonably priced, easy to acquire new or used, simple to set up and use, and sound great.

7. Bubby Brown

Bubby Brown Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2014
    None
    The vt pairs really good with the pf500. It really thickens it up with the B15 setting running in front of it.

8. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Comp 1st. I didn't like the vt bass. Talkbass talked me into it... Not to say you won't love it!

9. I found a VT at a pawn shop for $50. I like it. It has replaced my tone hammer. Give one a try. Compressor's are complicated and tricky for 1st time users to get the most out of. Check out Bongo's site Compressor Reviews To get the most out of a compressor.

hintz likes this.
  10. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    If you get a VT Bass, get the VT Bass DI, that way you have a portable backup/alternative to your PF500 you can run straight to FOH and/or a poweramp. I've been vacillating between a compressor or a VT Bass DI (purely as a backup to the PF500). The compressor is winning this week.

11. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I've owned a few tech21 Sansamps *before* they even made the VTDI, I distinctly remember the manual stating you wouldn't *need* compression with the Sansamp, I'm willing to bet the VT isn't too much different in this aspect...

I'd suggest getting the VT first if your set on getting one!

12. Get a "good" compressor first, imo. The keeley bassist is the best I've tried. To the point where it's like all others were toys. Then the VT, because it's awesome.

40Hz and kat888 like this.
  13. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    the instructions for my vt deluxe suggested the compressor first, so thats what i did and had no issue with that. didn't bother to try the other way, but i'm a big fan of if it aint broke.......

14. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I suggest an always-on light OD first (I recommend the Fairfield Barbershop or Wampler Euphoria). It will add some compression. Then a compressor (I like the Empress, but checkout the reviews and recommendations at Compressor Reviews).

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    If you wait until May the new Tech21 BassFlyrig has a compressor built in and is bassed on the VT circuit. Street price will be $299. Just a thought.
    Rondo

LilRay likes this.
  16. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    the PF 500 has a compressor/limiter, it sounds good, there is no reason to buy another one, and VT or any other dirty boost can sound awesome slamming the input of a compressor...some people wish the PF500 was dirtier, but it's fine as is...well, now that the flawed 1st generation is long gone...but VT is compatible and adds a warmer more pronounced low end and/or depending on setting, more high mid for cutting through. The bass boost on the PF500 doesn't quite do it, it's too low.

17. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I run a Diamond in front of my VTD. Sounds great.

Attached Files:

sub-commandante likes this.