1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good compressor????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EBMatt, Oct 13, 2006.

1. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    TB'ers, give me your input on a good compressor. I would prefer to get a rack mounted unit, but I'd also go with a pedal. I want to spend under $400.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What's your desired result? Peak limiting, mild compression, heavy squash, increased harmonics, more color, no color, ease of use, lots of controls...?

Check my sig for reviews.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I didn't realize you became the flag bearer of compressor reviews. But then again, you've replied to pretty much every comp thread ever written that asked "what is a good compressor?", so I should've realized it sooner :p

You should change your avatar to a flag with a Demeter Compulator on it, or something like that :D

4. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I love the demeter compulator pedal, it goes for $200 new and i beleive it comes in rackmount form, im not sure on that though

5. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The Aphex Punch Factory is an excellent, very transparent compressor that adds punch and controls dynamics with minimal tonal impact (whatever there is, it's good!). Simple controls and fairly cheap, too. I got mine used for $65, but I think they're usually around $100.

I think Aphex makes rackmount compressor stuff, but I'm not entirely sure.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Everybody needs a hobby, right?
    :help:
    I hope it doesn't become irritating to people, I certainly don't want to come off like I know all the answers or anything annoying like that. But I have gotten fairly obsessed with A/B comparing compressors lately, so I'm quick to jump in when somebody asks about them.

Just trying to help! :)

7. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    I would like to enter one vote AGAINST the Punch Factory. I don't have any alternatives to offer you (sorry), as I've never been much to use compression at all, but I can tell you that following the hype I heard about it here on TB, I bought a Punch Factory...and returned it. Most worthless piece of gear I've ever had the displeasure of using. YMMV.

8. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why didn't you like it?

-Dash

9. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Good question. I'm not a compressor pro, but I'm just looking for something to smooth out the sound a bit, and make my basses sound a bit more even and balanced from note to note. I wouldn't really want the compressor to color my sound too much. I don't really care about the controls as long as it does the job.

Thanks for all the input guys. Keep them coming!!:)

10. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Don't worry, I'm not bashing your compressor savvy. I was just pointing out how wherever a compressor is mentioned, you'll be there.

Just like Superman :p

11. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    I had it for nearly a month. I took advantage of MF's return policy, and shipped it back because despite trying for an entire month, and with every bass in the house (and frankly, that's a lot, because I don't know the actual number), I only found it to do SOMETHING ACTUALLY DISCERNABLE to only ONE bass...and it made it sound WORSE. It made my kid's Squire Bronco Bass sound treblier and thinner. Other than that, I was hard pressed to make it do anything but create distortion when turned up too high, despite trying it with well over a dozen basses (active and passive).

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm not a big fan of the Punch Factory either (had one, sold it), but one of the reasons that a lot of people love it is that it is a very transparent unit. To find something "discernable" about it means you have to crank it up to levels that cause distortion. If you want more of an effect that you can hear from your compression pedal, maybe try something like an MXR.

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    On the OP's question...

The Rane DC24 has a bunch of fans. It has seperate compression for high and low frequencies.

dbx's compressors tend to be consistantly good units (I like my 160A).

Read everything that bongomaina throws at you. He knows his stuff.

14. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    It's apparently SO transparent, that I couldn't hear it doing ANYTHING...including compressing the signal to any discernable degree.

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Okey-doke. I think EricF's suggestions are very good, the Rane and the dbx 160A, both well-regarded working-person's comps. The rane probably has way more controls than you want to deal with, though. Aphex's rackmount comps are excellent but they can be over your budget new; often a lot cheaper used, though, so check Ebay. I'm really digging an older Ashly rackmount comp (CL 100) I got recently, and I have read many posts in pro-audio forums giving the opinion that older Ashlys like the CL 50E are among the best "quality per dollar" rackmount comps out there. But you might prefer the lower control-setting-hassle of using the "Easyrider" system by Aphex or the "Overeasy" system by dbx.

If you end up going with a pedal, my money for "high quality at low hassle" is on EBS. The Demeter is supposed to be excellent for that as well, but I haven't tried it yet.

16. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yeah, its awesome to have an easy link to the old megathread. And the only thing we could be annoyed about is your persistance with that whole "objective reviews with pro's and con's" thing. Seriously, if I want to type CS-3 IS TEH COMPREXORS!!11!!1! is should be able to. ;)

And otherwise, any word on that atom-smasher mod you were looking into? I have a CS-3 that probly wont sell, so if that'll turn it into something more usefull that'd be great.

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm not sure what your point is, but...

...lighten up, Francis.

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Hey, that's cool, or l337, or whatever you kids say these days :p . I actually got spanked by a mod one time when I got aggro about somebody's too-simplistic review (I deserved it though, gotta remind myself to chill out sometimes).
    Yeah, I got one and I like it a lot! Check the review in my sig. It's not "perfect", but it's pretty darn good. I'd say send your CS3 in to the guy and have him mod it. Or pwn it, or whatever (grumble grumble YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!)

19. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    http://www.mercenary.com/realniccom.html

20. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Thanks guys. This is very helpful.