Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good computer software to practice with?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bill Brasky, Aug 1, 2000.

1. I was just wondering what kind of stuff people have on their computer that they can play around with and practice stuff. I know there's all sorts of stuff you can get on the internet but it's hard to find good stuff sometimes (especially if you're only looking for free stuff). I got a metronome on download.com that's pretty good. It has a wide range of tempos and lots of different sounds like bass drum or cymbal or just a click sound. I just got a drum machine program (at http://combi.agri.ch/miso/default77.htm) the other day that's pretty cool, but I can't find a way to do 3/4 or 6/8 time with it. It has a lot of different sounds though and is pretty versatile still. Also, winamp has some cool plugins that you can use like to slow down the music without changing the pitch, or you can raise or lower the pitch in half steps without changing the speed. It makes it easier to learn some songs by slowing them down first, and it's also good practice to just change around the tempo of a song and play along with all the different speeds.

Does anybody have any other stuff you use that you would recommend?

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It's not free, but Band In A Box might be exactly what you're looking for. I think it's around $60???

-GM

3. wizo

wizo Guest

Jan 23, 2003
    slowblast

wizo:confused:

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why do you revive a three(!!!)-year-old thread? :confused:

Thread necrophilia seems to be the latest trend...

5. wizo

wizo Guest

Jan 23, 2003
    Why does everyone comment on how i bring back old threads lol oh well :)

wizo:confused:

6. Yes - I find Band-in-a-Box by PG Music an excellent practice and learning tool. See Steve Lawson's review of it on his website(dated '97 I think - have been some upgrades since then).

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, bringing back old threads is good because people who already posted on a subject don't have to post again unless the have something to add.

I just merge duplicate theme threads anyway, so you might as well uneath the old ones.

I agree that Band in a Box is great. You plug in the chord progression and the computer will play it back in the style of your choice. You can then remove the bassline and play along or isolate the bassline and transcribe it. Preety sweet.