Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good computer speaker

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I am looking for good quality computer speaker. That sound really good for music and could handle my bass also.
    I plug my bass in a little console and go in my computer.

Price is not THAT important. I know that i will pay at least 100$ for something that sound pretty good.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    How about a real hifi amp and hifi speakers/headphones?

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    unless he already has a reciever or some for of amplfied I/o box, getting passive hifi speakers won't do him much.

computer speakers, are active, and way cheaper than any Active hi-fis I've ever seen.

Might I recommend Altec Lansing, they generally make pretty good speakers for the price. you can get a perfectl fine 2.1 setup for like 50 bucks.

The biggest problem with the really cheap computer speaker set-ups 2.1 et al, is that they usually sacrifice good quality and range, so while you will get loud and boomy sound(from the meager subwoofeR) it won't be very clear.

I have a pair of Celestion bookshelf speakers that I got for 100 dollars, they are terrific, while not very powerful, they produce such a clear and rich sound. I am constantly floored by them.

of course, that's $100 plus the $150 I spent on a reciever($300 reciever too :p )

so I ended up spending $250, but I have a really nice, expandable, and great sounding set-up.

If you already have a reciever, then Go for some nice bookshelf speakers.

If Price is not very important, then I would suggest getting some Active studio monitors. you should be able to plug those into your I/O box that you plug your bass through, and if not, then your sound card should take them(assuming you have a capable sound card...if not there are always adapters)

You will get terrifc sound, and your bass won't mind a bit being put through them.

www.m-audio.com make a nice pair of relatively cheap Monitors.

4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I just got a little cord that sends the computer sound into my stereo. And the circle of music theft is complete.