Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Copies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Hi, just to ask if anyone own or have tried some copy bass...

i´m asking about Rickenbacker and Musicman copies, i want to know if they are any good for a intermediate player with tight budget who just want to own for the moment a copy... then the real stuff.

i know they are not as good, but just give me names and prices...(pictures and websites are welcome too) i will try to check them out next trip to US (although i think i´m going to buy an Fender Jazz American Standard anyway).

thanks!

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm personally unaware of any really good copies, though I won't admit that they don't exist. However, one question I have to ask you is why you'd want to "own one for a minute" then replace it by the real thing when you have the money.

If it was that good of a bass, wouldn't you just want the copy in place of the real thing?

I think it's a waste of money to buy something with all intentions of replacing it as soon as you can afford to. Why not check out the used market? You might be able to get better prices than you think...some people around here (yes, Brad, I mean you!) have had great luck that way!;) That way, you may be able to get what you want without having to sacrafice.:D

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    like i said before... i will end up buying a Fender!
    but could anyone please reply my question.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that´s a great idea... but i don´t think i will find a decent Rickenbacker at $500

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree with RAM. There really isn't any copy market out there I know of either.

The Japanese were doing a great job for a while and the makers of the originals found it too expensive, if even feasible, to go after them in international court. Then, the Japanese makers really came into their own when their own stuff stood up respectably to other gear on the market.

Secondly, things changed for the two makers who were being copied the most, Fender and Gibson. Fender started their budget lines and largely wiped out low end Fender copies, and Gibson got to be such a mess under Norlin, they really aren't much of player in the bass market any longer - just some old designs that resemble the originals in cosmetics only, that Epiphone finds profitable.

Check out the used racks when you are here. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you're looking for my opinion on the Electra on e-bay you posted, I can't give it. I'm suspicious. The guy said, "I'm no expert on vintage instruments..." which has implications well beyond anything! For a novice who doesn't know any better, they might think from that comment that this was similar to Chris Squire's bass or something. That's a total sham! What can possibly be meant by that comment?:confused:

This particular bass is no Rickenbacker! Ricks have through-body necks, where this has a neck plate...Does this have Rickenbacker electronics? What about the shape of the neck? You're probably not going to get anywhere near the quality of a Rick with that bass, and I wouldn't waste even $50 on it! Sure, it LOOKS kind of similar, but...

I call into question the integrity of the poster of this product! He even posted one of the pictures backwards making it look like a lefty bass...what is it, lefty or righty?

BTW: I rented an Electra before I bought my first bass, and that's the last time I'll even pick one up!

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    The early Japanese made Electra basses were some of the best copies manufactured. Many people actually prefer them over the originals.
    That being said....a Rick IS quite a unique bass and very difficult to copy accurately. It is the one bass that I would much prefer the real thing.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Deynn - Boink! That was precisely what came to mind as I was typing that, my old Electra EB-3 copy. The Gibson EB-3 I got later had a better build and a more refined finish, but it couldn't get as punchy as the Electra and it certainly wasn't worth the extra hundreds. I was happier with the Electra longer than the Gibson.

Luckily, I got the Electra free from St. Louis Music.

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I feel the same way about my Electra Les Paul....:)

10. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i just bought a seventies hohner jazz bass copy. it was in mint condition and, in my opinion, plays great. the bass is sunburst/tortoise with block inlays in the rosewood fingerboard. as i said before, it plays and sounds great, no dead spots that i can detect and no hum. i don't think i could have found a better sounding/playing, cooling looking, bass for under $350. here's a picture if you guys are interested.

have you checked out the univox rickenbacker copies?

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There have been a few Ric copies made, I've yet to hear one sound like a Ric. I found an older 4001 Ric at a pawnshop (Hi, RAM;))...with painted body and matching neck, fretboard and headstock about a year ago for $350. They're out there.

There are still MM copies, Jay Tursers are the first that come to mind. They don't sound like MM either.

It's not that the copies are bad, I too don't see the logic in buying a temporary bass when a keeper may be only slightly more money. A used MIA Standard Jazz might cost you ~$400US...why spend $250 on a copy?

Most of the stuff I find isn't because I'm looking for it, I'm just looking in general. It's amazing what pops up.

If you're looking solely for a prop, the copies will do...otherwise go fo the original, used. You might be surprised.

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ok thanks for the replies...
    i´m not interested in that ebay Rick copy...is just a hint of what i´m thinking... second, i'm pretty sure that rick sound can´t be copied...but (this is gonna sound ugly to some)... i just want a copy for the look!...that´s all, if it comes with a decent sound...much better!.
    when i win big money at my future work i will definetely have two rickenbackers and two Jazz deluxe and a precision and a Musicman and a Sterling (my dream team ;) )...
    but right now i´m just a medicine student with no big money like most of you guys, who think is ridiculous to buy a copy when you can buy the real deal... well, i won´t have the real deal in several years!...

ok... i just asked for opinions on copies... i will try to find a used rickenbacker at 500 (tax included)...Is that posible?? have any of you found such a deal? tell me where to find... i usually go tu US for two days, so time is important.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i will check...
    that honner sure looks sweet!! :D

14. Ibanez did some Rick copies;
    [​IMG]
    okay, the sunburst and the pickups are completely wrong, -actually that looks a bit like Cliff Burton's old Rick with the humbucker at the neck.......
    this one's a bit better;
    [​IMG]

Ibanez seem to have copied every classic Fender and Gibson bass, and an Ampeg plexiglass too-
    http://www.ibanez-vintage-page.de

15. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    :) that's a great ibanez page! i don't know...maybe it's just me, but i'm really into these copies, especially if they play nice. they're kind of funny, you know?

16. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
  17. nice.
    It's interesting how the Japanese companies used cheap lightweight machineheads on their copies instead of the big Schallers on the real Fenders/Ricks/Gibsons- almost certainly just to cut costs but also good for balance, and it's ironic how lightweight Hipshot Ultralights get used on expensive Sadowsky's, Mike Lull P and J type basses these days.

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah they are! when i complete my dream team I will buy 3 of these... starting with the Flying V :D

thanks, Mock Turtle and steveKim (although I found that link on yahoo)

so, which copy is good? (rickenbacker)
    -Electra
    -Univox
    -Ibanez

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool page! I used to play an unbranded Ibanez EB-0 copy at a church I went to when I was younger and it was much clearer sounding than the real thing. Great bottom, but less mud.

Is this the absolute ugliest Jazz copy ever made, or what?!?!? I need that puke smiley!:p

[​IMG]