Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Custom Made Bass Companys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aceofbass88, Aug 30, 2002.

1. aceofbass88

aceofbass88

Jul 23, 2002
    I am lookin to find awesome custom, made to order bass companys, i know of Zon, MTD, Modulus, Warwick, Lakland, Shadowsky any other really great companys???

2. Sure. Here's a few...

Alembic
    Babensee
    Conklin
    Curbow
    F-Bass
    Fodera
    Hanewinckel
    Jerzy Drozd
    Ken Lawrence
    Ken Smith
    Modulus
    MTD
    Pedula
    Rob Allen
    Sadowsky
    Warrior
    Warwick
    Zon

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Brubaker, Stambaugh, Benavente, Crescent Moon, Garz

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  6. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    Riter basses:D !!! you'll be glad you checked out this page even if you can't afford these perfect basses

ritter-basses.de

also Lefay makes some funky basses, but their site is imposible for me to figure out since I don't speak german.

7. mrsfnkta

mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    What? FBB Custom is not mentioned? Check this out - a nice pic of mine. All woods are natural to Arkansas. Matt Schmill is VERY accomodating, not to mention wildly talented. You would not be disappointed with him.

Jim

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Sei
    Overwater
    Jay Dee
    Goodfellow
    Wal

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's yours???? I've got all the pics of that bass downloaded on my comp; it's so beautiful! I've emailed Matt about a custom project where I wanted a six-string that looks as close to yours as possible. Nice bass, man.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's so many...

These are in Germany alone (not even a complete list)

Le Fay
    Christof Kost
    Jens Ritter
    Human Base
    Bassline
    BassCulture
    Börjes
    HotWire
    Magnus Krempel
    Schack
    Clover
    Stoll
    Phantom
    Auerswald
    Esh
    Eyb
    Basslab
    Miller
    Peter Coura
    Sandberg
    Marleaux

...just to name a few :D

11. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Many of the companies listed will not do a true custom job, ie. Sadowski, Zon, Modulus etc. They have their standard models and options, but the end result will still look like a Zon, Modulus, etc.

If you are looking for true custom, one-off builders, the list becomes much smaller. DP Custom and Ken Bebensee are the two that I can think of right now.

12. mrsfnkta

mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    Wow, nice Artinger! I checked out the site, but it starts at $3000 for the Fender-like model. That's pretty steep. There are some lesser-known guys out there like the fellas in the Luthier's Corner here at TB. Check out their sites - I can tell you from experience, though, that Matt Schmill (FBB) and Darrin Huff (DHuff Guitars) are both great. And they cost you much less than you think.

Jim

13. Like a lot of small builders, Greg Curbow (http://www.curbow.com) does have standard models, but also occasionally does some "custom" work that's totally different--check out the Bootsy-style "Star" bass in the gallery, as well as Dave Siff's J-style bass. He's in the process of building me a single-cutaway 6-string bass, as well, though that will have some similarities to his regular carved-top basses.

So, I wouldn't rule out other small builders (Bone, Stambaugh, Benevente, etc.) doing basses that are completely "custom". Obviously, though, it makes sense to look at somebody who's already building something that's a bit similar to what you want.

And of course, if you like the standard MTD/Zon/Sadowsky/etc. but want a special wood or finish, I'm sure they're all "custom" enough to accomodate that sort of thing, even if they don't do wild one-off shapes and whatnot.

Mike

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City