Good day for playing basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gweimer, Oct 31, 2000.

1. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Today turned out to be a fun day for playing different basses.
    It started with checking out a Baldwin Vibraslim (doing a favor for someone). Neat bass, very mellow. Almost upright in tone.
    Next, at tonight's jam night, it was fun bass night. One guy brought in a '57 Precision. It was refinned, and all that, but the original maple neck was there, and the sound as well. Incredible sound, even with the thick-ass V maple neck (and this one had some road bumps on it). Still, it was the first of the really early models I've ever seen, and I was most impressed. Then, someone brought in a DeArmond Ashbory. Fun, funky LITTLE bass. It weighs like 2 pounds, and has the shortest scale I've ever seen. They sound really nice, but this is a bass that you play by intent. There's no slop allowed here. The silicone rubber strings move when you do, so when you try to do a bend, the strings tend to roll under your fingers.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I attended a jam like that once. One guy brought a Rickenbacker Laredo, which is nice to look at but wierd, considering it was a jazz jam. A friend of mine brought a PBC 6 string which used to belong to me and I almost took my 4 - string Zon, which coincidentally used to belong to him. I didn't play, though, because Branford Marsalis was there and I'm not really gung-ho about playing jazz. In retrospect, I should have played and let B.M. give me some advice. Well, next semester maybe I'll drag the ol' Pentabuzz to school...

Will C.:cool: