Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good day for playing basses....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gweimer, Oct 31, 2000.

1. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Today turned out to be a fun day for playing different basses.
    It started with checking out a Baldwin Vibraslim (doing a favor for someone). Neat bass, very mellow. Almost upright in tone.
    Next, at tonight's jam night, it was fun bass night. One guy brought in a '57 Precision. It was refinned, and all that, but the original maple neck was there, and the sound as well. Incredible sound, even with the thick-ass V maple neck (and this one had some road bumps on it). Still, it was the first of the really early models I've ever seen, and I was most impressed. Then, someone brought in a DeArmond Ashbory. Fun, funky LITTLE bass. It weighs like 2 pounds, and has the shortest scale I've ever seen. They sound really nice, but this is a bass that you play by intent. There's no slop allowed here. The silicone rubber strings move when you do, so when you try to do a bend, the strings tend to roll under your fingers.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I attended a jam like that once. One guy brought a Rickenbacker Laredo, which is nice to look at but wierd, considering it was a jazz jam. A friend of mine brought a PBC 6 string which used to belong to me and I almost took my 4 - string Zon, which coincidentally used to belong to him. I didn't play, though, because Branford Marsalis was there and I'm not really gung-ho about playing jazz. In retrospect, I should have played and let B.M. give me some advice. Well, next semester maybe I'll drag the ol' Pentabuzz to school...

Will C.:cool: