Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good deal for this Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninkompoop, Oct 17, 2003.

1. ninkompoop

ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    I'm pretty sure I'd like a spector as my next bass, although I'm not entirely sure. I've never actually played one, but I have heard nothing but good things about them, and I'm pretty convinced I'd have no regrets moving on from my Ibanez SR800, to a Spector.

I have a chance to buy this NS-2. I'm not sure of the year (its probably pretty old) and it was made in Korea.

A descent slap tone is a must, which the soundgear has, but I'd also like a nice deep meaty bassy sound for finger picking, which the soundgear lacks completely.

Anyone recognize this bass? I think I'd like it, but would like to get a few pros/cons about this instrument, if possible.. It would be shipped to me from the states, so I'd definetly like to avoid having to ship it back..

Any thoughts?

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That is a korean made 80's Kramer era Spector. It is among their cheaper line, that would be either an NS-2B, or an NS-2C......B if neck through, C if Bolt on.

Keep in mind, neither of these have the trademark spector concave body, nor do they share much of a feel or tone of their bigger brothers. I do see that somone replaced the pickups with true EMG's, which is a definite upgrade.

I'd value this bass at around 200-300 TOPS if it is in great condition. The NS-2A series, has the same look, feel, and body contours of the US models, and can be had at $300+ US.

Hope this was of some help.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    After looking again, that does appear to be the neck through B series.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Thar's an NS-2A Korean made bass. IMO, it's a great bass & I've seen them sell in the $400-500 range.

It has upgraded EMG p/u's which are an improvement over the stock Spector pickups.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    I used to hav ethe one with the curve in the back...great bass i miss it..

steve

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Negative Nino, check out the flat body (is apparent on top), and also the knob placement. The A's placement looks like a diamond from the upright position.

7. ninkompoop

ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    Yeah..He is asking 500$ for it. Says its in beautiful shape. I'm not sure if I want to pay that much, unless its definetly a good sounding instrument.. I'd like to be able to acheive a claypool like tone..but would also like some descent tone variations avaliable.

Thanks for the input, guys. I had no idea this bass was a neck through..If I do decide to get it, I really hope its tone will rock my soundgear to peices. I'm thinking I should try to talk the price down, especially since shipping will be killer..

Time to go to work and think this over..

Thanks again

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hmmm. It's hard to tell in the picture but it kida seems like it might have a contoured body But I can't be sure.

I have seen some NS2A that the face looks like the one pictured, kinda flat & not toatlly rounded on the edges. Tough call.

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    is an ns-2a. i have that exact bass

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    2B fellas, the pattern of the knobs tells the story, as said before, on a 2A, the knobs are a straight up diamond pattern when the bass is upright.