Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Deal (I hope!!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hi everyone,

I am a noobie to this site. I have been playing Bass on and off (admitedly off more than on) for about 18 years. About 1 and 1/2 years ago, I decided to pick up playing again and bought a cheap new Yamaha bass and a Carvin Probass 150 amp (sweet little amp!). So I have been plunking away on the Yam for over a year now and deicded to get even more serious. I went down to a local used only place (Atomic Music, College Park, MD)and found a gem. I bought a 1997 or 1998 (according to Fenders site) sunburst, white pick guard American (made in USA) P-Bass with a hardshell case. The bass is absolutely mint (new condition) and still had the original strings point. Must be one of these basses that was bought new and never played. NOW HERE IS WHERE MY QUESTION FINALLY COMES IN. I paid $450 (US) for this mint gem and want to know if that was a fair deal? Looks like one of these new goes for 900ish-1200ish, so it seems like a really good deal, but you tell me. I'm going to attempt to post a pick here. Thanks in advance!!!!

Fred

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Welcome to TB.

If the bass is exactly what you describe, then you made the best deal in the world, usually you could find a new Fender P-bass MIA (Made In America) for $900 (more or less), so a 3-year-used one for $450, mint condition, its a great deal.....(in my opinion)

Enjoy your new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Try using the attacht file button.

4. Quadzilla

Here is a pic of the new addidtion. :D ;) :p

5. Quadzilla

Another.....

6. Congrats, that’s a GREAT deal!

I have never seen a used MIA P in anywhere near that condition for that price. Heck I haven’t seen a MIM one in that condition for less then 200$.

I suggest getting some DR LoRider strings for it I think they sound great.

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    cool bass Quadzilla!

you made an excellent deal!
    thats the cheapest price I can recall of a P-Bass being theft :)

enjoy the bass.

oops nearly forgot...
    original strings are cool, you know the bass is mint like new if it comes with them but thats as far as it takes you.
    dump the Fender strings and get some DRs like Mike88T suggested, you'll appreciate your bass even more.

8. Quadzilla

Thanks air_leech, I already dumped the orginal strings and put on Smith Stainless ones for now. The smith's are in the pics (I had already dumped the originals by then). I suggest that any of you in or near Maryland to take a trip over to Atomic Music (or call them). They really have some killer deals like the one I got!!

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, before you fellas get too excited, be aware that Musician's Friend blew out brand new '99 American Standard P Basses with a hardshell case in 2000 for $499.99. I know because I bought one. Your deal is not bad, just not as stunning as some of the feeback here would have you believe. ;)

10. Why did they blowout American Standard P basses? Don't they still make that model?

11. Quadzilla

Appreciate that info Boogie. Was that for all colors, etc of the P-Bass or for just the "painted" ones? I know that the starburst finish is an option that costs $50-$150 depending who you buy from. It seems today that any new U.S. P-bass in any finish can't be had for less than $900 from what I can tell (and that's without a case). So it appears that you and I Boogie just got lucky. There are deals to be had and exceptions to the rule all the time, but the point is that for what we got, you generally will pay a good bit more. Even though mine was not "new" like yours, you sure as hell can't tell. Looks to me like some poor sap bought mine new, tried to play bass twice, put it in the case for 3 years and then decided he was hard up for cash and sold it...

12. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    in 2000 they moved the production line to the new factory.

the 2000 models are supposed to have non veneered bodies and rolled fretboard edges.

btw Quadzilla, this finish is called sunburst.

13. Quadzilla

Thanks Leech your right. Starbursts are fruit chews and Sunburst is the finish. Yeah yeah, that's the ticket....

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, late nineties AmP's in near mint condition will still usually bring 5 or 5 and a half in Southern Cal, so your deal was good, no question. Just wanted to add a little perspective to the discussion. Sunbursts often bring a bit more than solid colors.

15. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I live about an hour away from Atomic Music and still havent gone!I'm gonna go soon.I got some questions...

Did they have any other used American Fender P's or J's?

Did they have any used stingrays for a similiar price?

16. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    Hey Quadzilla,

I live in Maryland and was just wondering if atomic music had a website or something?

Sorry for being a little off topic :)

-LilBassBoy

17. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    I just bought a 1998 MIA P-bass for 400, and I took it into the local guitar store and they told me I could probably sell it for around 900 (i think it would be hard tho). so i would say we both got good deals.

18. gosh im gonn hafta get up to that Atomic music.

19. Quadzilla

For lil_bass_boy, no they (Atomic) don't have a website anymore. I asked them why (cause they used to) and they said with the amount of guitars and basses going thru that place daily, it would be impossible to keep up. From what I saw in the store on Saturday, I gotta agree. As for your question Frankencow, they had a TON of P's and J's and everything else. Man, I mean it's rows and rows of used guitars and basses (they sell no new equip, only used). Lots of good deals (and some not so good) there. Mostly good deals I'd say. It's definatly worth checking out if you are in the area, that's for sure!!!!:) ;) :D :p

20. hey quad, what area of MD are u in? jus wonderin. I havent gone up to Atomic yet, but from what you say it sounds pretty niiice.