Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Deal on a Euphonic Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Jan 7, 2004.

1. I am looking at a Euphonic rig that consists of an iAmp 350 head and a CXL210. Both are brand new with factory warranty. I know they don't make either of them anymore, but the retailer is a dealer and had them left over. I really like the sound and have recently sold my Eden rig.

He is going to give me the whole set-up for $1000. This seemed like a good deal, but I don't know a whole lot about EA. Is there a reason they don't make the CXL210 anymore? Is it a good cabinet?

Am I getting a good deal?

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Sounds like a reasonable deal. It's not a steal, but it's a good deal none the less. I bought my Iamp 350 for $425 used incl shipping and it was the best deal I found. The CXL cabs go for around $600. The fact that they are new with a factory warranty sweetens the deal.

If you want to read my review of the Iamp with 2 CXL 110s, click the link below
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108992

3. I have a CXL-210 and I really like it. I am not exactly sure why it was discontinued, perhaps it didn't sell as I haven't really seen to many around.

$1000 seems like a pretty good deal on that equipment. Can you try it out first? The only think that might be of concern is that the head is only going to give you 250W into the CXL-210 which handles 600W. You might want more power, but again, it might be fine for you.

Geoff

4. I have gotten to try it and it sounds phenomenal. I was very impressed. I actually wasn't looking for EA and really liked it.

I don't need much power. When I do play out, it is with a trio and we keep a reasonable volume.

Does anyone know how the DI on the EA is? Does it do well in the studio. I really don't like to mike a cab in the studio.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It is one of the best DIs from an amp I have ever heard. The sound is very clean and clear.

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Considering you'd pay about $1000 for both of those items used I think it's an awesome deal. The CXL210 is one of the best cabs EA ever made IMO(I have 2 of them). You'll have a real nice rig.:bassist:

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is a good deal on some great gear. I wouldn't think about, and just get it. But of course, that's a large part of why I have a basement full of bass gear...

Considering the price, the sound, and the killer customer support from EA, I would strongly recommend that you pick it up, if you are pleased with the sound.

Tom.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The CXL210 was replaced with the NL210. EA is a small company and they seem to be aggressive at keeping the number of products down.

9. Yeah, that would be my best guess also. The CxL-210 weighs 82 lbs, and the new NL-210 only weighs 44 lbs.
    It can handle the same power (500w) and, IMO, sounds just as good.

If weight is no object, sounds like a good deal. Not a steal, but a good deal.

Randy

10. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The CXL210 handles 600 watts and is made of birch instead of poplar which gives it a tighter more focused bottom end.

http://www.euphonicaudio.com/index.cfm?page=cxl210

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have a hard time believing that the CXL-210 weighs 82 lbs.

I have a couple of the older VL210B's and they weigh in at about 75 lbs and the CXL's where supposed to be lighter than the VL 210s.

Anyway I have an e-mail into EA asking them how much the CXL weighs.

I'll post the answer.

12. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Here is the reply I got from EA

Hi Rick,

The weight of the CxL-210 varies from 58 to 62 lbs. The variation is due to the amount of finish applied. The poly is very heavy and they spray it so that the finish looks very even but the variations in the wood make it very difficult to do even though we use a special primer to minimize the variations.

Thank you for your interest in EA products,

John Dong

13. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I have the original shipping box and UPS had the shipping weight at 87 lbs and I just put mine on a scale and it was 82 lbs. It also feels like twice the weight of my CXL112 when I pick it up.

14. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Just got a corrected e-mail from John at EA:

Hi Rick,

I was incorrect in my previous email.

The shipping weight of the CxL-210 is about 87lbs and the shipping materials weigh about 8 lbs so the cabinet weight is about 79 lbs. So the typical CxL-210 weighs about 80 lbs.

Best regards,

jd

15. Well, slap my Grandma, you're right. :p The CxL DOES handle 600 watts......my bad.

I have heard the point about the different woods; some folks insist on birch. I haven't auditioned the CxL, but the NL is awesome in it's own right. For my personal taste, I am VERY satisfied with my NL-210, especially since it's only 44#.

Randy

16. Just as an update, I got the EA rig, and love it. I can't see myself ever going with anything different.

17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Famous last words! Congrats on the EA rig though. Have fun playing with the EQ. I would recommend reading the tone shaping article on the EA site and then try the "fat tube amp" sound. Very nice.

18. Thanks, I haven't even engaged the EQ yet. It sounds so good in bypass mode I haven't started twiddling knobs.

19. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    You bought the CXL210 and iAmp 350?

20. Yes, I did. It blows my Eden rig out of the water. I was a huge Eden fan before I heard the EA.