1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Deal on a MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoulMaim, Apr 3, 2006.

1. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    I recently saw a MIM jazz bass in a local used guitar shop and have been considering picking it up, not having a real fender jazz bass yet (and as a counterpart to my precision). I think it is an early to mid 90's bass. It's a kindof metalflake maroon colour, and has black strat style control knobs. I've heard some of fender's mexican basses around this time were made of basswood and not alder, which has me curious as to what wood this bass is made of. I would definitely be more interested in buying it if it were alder. I haven't had a chance to check it out too in-depth yet, but it seems nice enough.
    The guy wants $300 CDN for it (actually $320 but he says he'd let me have it for 300 cash if it were all at once). Think this is a good deal for this mim jazz?

(my first threat btw:hyper: )

2. I reckon its abut right - a fairnl not bad price...get it if you can't find a cheaper one on ebay

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Congratulations on your first thread...painless wasn't it.....so far that is :)

I would check out the bass first before talking turkey with the guy. Is it in great shape? Is the neck all dinged out or bowed ? Are there deadspots on the neck? How does the bass play and sound? I have owned a few early to mid ninety mim basses and they were all fantastic basses for the price. Alder vs basswood? Who cares. So long as the bass plays well and sounds killer.

300 Canadian is a decent price is the bass is mint and there are no issues.

4. I have a MIM P bass that I believe is basswood. Its amazingly resonant and has a really sweet tone with clear highs and deep lows. Dont be put off by what its made of, just play it and you will know if its a good one. Mine was :smug:

5. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario

6. MIM's are reliable player basses that are ripe for customization. One thing to note is that the older versions with the Strat knobs have pickups that are both the same size, as opposed to the traditional Jazz with the bridge pickup slightly longer than the neck one. You can verify the year of manufacture by the serial number, which is probably MN*******. N stands for "ninety", and the following number will be the next digit in the year. So N7 will be 97, N8 98, etc. Basses from this era were decent instruments that really put the MIM Fenders on the map. Most were good, some were excellent. As for the basswood/alder thing, the finish on these basses were so thick that you probably won't need to worry about durability unless you're planning to really abuse the thing. Despite its reputation as a "cheaper" material, basswood is perfectly fine as a body wood.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'd rather have a 2 piece basswood body than the 4 piece alder one on the MIM Jazz at my local GC.....why would anybody want that in a natural finish?

9. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario

10. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    (dumb question alert!)
    What the heck do strat knobs look like?

11. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I have a '98 MIM J fretless and love it. Not sure what the body material is and dont care, it sounds great.

In your case, id have them replace the strings and give it a good setup before laying down the cash.

12. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    From what I know the MIMs from the 90s were made of poplar. I had one. It was very nice.

13. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  14. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Yeah they're just like those except black.

...anywho on an unrelated note, I called my luthier today and it turns out he finally got the replacement truss rod for my warwick streamer in today, I had gotten it for $200 because it had the broken rod and its been sitting in the shop ever since, but now it should be brought back to life soon! I can't wait to get that monster home.

15. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    *brrffump*