1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good deal on Jazz bass or suspicious?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tx Basser, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    Just saw a local online ad with pix for a 1977 Fender Jazz bass. The pix included a headstock photo and body and case photos. The bass appears to be in excellent shape and comes with the original hardshell case. Serial # is S 7 #####.

The guy is asking $500.00 for it!!!!

What say you? Steal or sham or suspicious? What would all you guys say was really the going value on it?

Inquiring minds want to know before I pop on it.

77Jazzbass.
    77jbass4.
    77jbass2.
    77jbas3.

2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Honestly for $500 what do you have to lose? You could always flip it and at least get your money back. On the other hand it might be a great find.

3. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    Excellent point there. Thanks! :D

I guess I was just in semi-shock to see one this inexpensive......

4. I agree, but I would see out for a opportunity to try it out yourself.

The fact that there's a three-bolt neck it quite encouraging at the other hand.

But try it out, and if it feels/sounds right, just buy the darn thing. :)

5. Deedubs

Deedubs

Mar 5, 2012
    jump on that!

6. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Looks legit from that picture, the case looks right. - OK go get it.

7. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    now

8. +1 Before someone else finds out about this awesome deal

9. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    If it is not legit, you still have a great deal at $500. Not sure if it is totally legit by the pics, but hard to tell by that. Looks like the person selling it is hard up for quick cash or has no idea the value of that nice bass.

10. [​IMG]

11. I just noticed that the knobs are changed.... Changes the originality. But if you don't give !%@# about that, go for it.

12. If it's one of the Fender Japan or Fender MIM re-issue Jazzes that would be a fair price.
    even if it's an Ibanez lawsuit Jazz from the 70's that would be a decent price.

13. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Yeah! I saw that same ad yesterday and thought it was too good to be true. I tried to avoid it (and GAS pains) though seeing as i dont have the 500 to drop... Thanks for bringing it up and assuring a sleepless night. :D

14. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    If the SN doesn't show up on the local P.D.'s hot list, then I see very little downside risk to it at that price.

Definitely keep us posted on what you end up doing though!

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Do you have it yet?

16. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    No.....I emailed the poster earlier today and included my phone number but I haven't heard back from them yet. I am probably too late.....I am afraid someone else jumped on it!

If I am lucky enough to grab this deal, I'll post info and pixs.

17. In '77 they had strat knobs

18. Seriously? Never noticed it. Wow. Thanks.

It's still very ugly, IMHO, but hey... If you dig it, go for it!

19. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    That price would be about right for a 77ish re-issue MIM bass..

20. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    Well......just got a phone call from the guy who posted the 77 J bass for $500. It is a MIA original 1977 model.

SUPER NICE GUY and he told me that he is 2nd owner and the original owner stripped the frets from it and that the bass has two cracks at the nut where the tension rod comes out. He stated that whoever buys it will want to replace the neck on it.

I told him that the 77 body, electronics and original case are probably worth what he is asking and that maybe he should check out ebay and find a replacement neck from that era for it if he couldn't sell it as is. I passed on it for now and wished him luck.