Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Deal or GC rip off...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Jan 2, 2004.

1. So i was strolling through my local GC today like usual palyin basses and amps for a good 30 min and i was about to leave when somethnig caught me eye. A 4 string Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass V...had 2 p-pickups and 1-humbucker type pickup...now the catch is they have it marked at 599 on some onsale thing like usual. The bass sells onlone or did sell online for around 800-900...also this bass has around if not over 20+ scratched, nicks, dents, damaged areas, a missing nob for controls, no back cover for battery/electronics, and a semi lose pick gaurd. Is this a good price or do u think i could haggle em down evem more for it if i were to get enough money to go for it.

-Vince

P.S. Should i ask if case and all thats usually comes with it if price is reasonable i forgot to when i was there.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    599 for a bass that has gotten the hell beat out of it? That thing shouldn't be more than $400.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Mike Money is right.I paid $550 at GC for an American Deluxe Jazz that didn't have one scratch on it.Get them to mark it down more.My friend just bought a Stingray 5 for $800 at GC because it had one pretty good sized ding in it.Don't let them rip you off......

4. It isnt just a regular delux its one with 3 pickups 2 P and 1 humbucker or double jazz...also it seems to maybe of been marked down already but im not sure cause im not a big fender buff. Anyone know anything about this model type bass to see if i should try to around 400 or not...

-Vince

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    NO bass with that damage should be more than $400. I don't care if it was the last bass Jaco played before he lost his virginity. Its a rip off.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i would rather have an older bass that had scraches and worn paint than one with perfect paint...theres a reason usually why they are worn..they play well...

and who said its damaged and a rip off? sractches mean its damamged? hmmm

steve

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    if you could get a warwick thumb nt 5 for like 1600 new, or 800 with some scratches, i'd go with the scratches definitely.
    the fender amarican deluxes are really nice, but you could get it for cheaper if you tried.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    From what i understand, it is a new bass that has just gotten beat up at the store.

9. Ya its a floor model and we all know how people treat GC basses...this is a eprfect example...its new plays perfectly its just exterior looks but im wondering if i should try to get even lower then their lowered price, im broke but if i can snag a expensive bass for a steal price just for looks ill do it buff it up and either keep or resell it muahahaha!Ill go tomorrow and talk with them and maybe take some pics for yall to give further determination. Thanks guys you are all the best i appreciate it.

-Vince

10. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I can't recall any Fender production model that has 3 pickups. Are you sure it's not a used bass that was modded? You're not mistaking the two separate sides of the single P-pickup as two pickups, are you?

11. mogator

mogator

Aug 12, 2002
    Early January seems to be the time they have a "real" sale at GC. Last year the one by me had some crazy prices. American Deluxe P bass for $399 or $499, and it was mint. Musicman Axis guitar for $499, mint. Rickenbacker 330 for $599, mint, special color (I bought that one). This years isn't so great, although they have a couple of Line 6 Variax guitars for $499 (they normally sell for a grand), and a Warwick thumb BO for $899. Point being, now is a good time to check out a GC.

SteveO

12. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    id pay more than $400 for one of Jaco's basses

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is very confusing. How many strings does it have?

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, i'm kinda lost now. just get it!

15. embellisher

You mean this bass? The V has 5 strings.

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0195262

[​IMG]

And it has 2 pickups. One P style split coil humbucker, and one double Jazz bridge humbucker.

16. No its the V if you read on the fender site it says on the last sentence of the description taht it comes in a 4 stringer aswell.

-Vince

17. embellisher

Read the link I posted. That is the American Deluxe Precision Bass. The American Deluxe Precision Bass V is a five string. The V is roman numeral for five.

18. Ahhh i am smacked on the side of the face...i bow to you oh wise bass guru...sorry i was wrong, i just woke up heh. So ya its taht model but with that green body color of teal green transperant.

-Vince

19. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    thats embellisher, not to be confused with the bass guru. :D