Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good deal? Or not... Decisions, Fender or EBMM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fong249, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    So... I have a "Friend" at Guitarcenter who gave me some price quotes for a couple 5ers. I've been interested in an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingry 5 (But may wait for the dual humbucker version), a American Fender Jazz V Deluxe, and a American Fender Precision V Deluxe (W/ humbucker). Heres what he quoted me at... are these about what you'd pay? Btw, all new, to the specs I want (color/fretboard)

EBMMSR5-1100
    Fender Jazz - 1150
    Fender Pre - 1050

Thanks fellas.

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I know doodly squat about those Fender prices, but the EBMM price isn't bad...but he's not really your friend, is he?

Lots of GCs have been blowing out current EBMM stock to make room for the new stuff. I'd hold out for a better deal if you decide to go with the SR5 (and you should).

3. go for the EBMM, fender 5 strings aren't the best

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm biased....Ray5 wins in my book. Is that the price for a solid color one? If it's for a burst-that's roughly $300 less than what i paid.

That's all

5. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I'd consider him my friend because of the deals i got before... fairly absurd ones and some just norrmal ones. I got a ampeg svt 410 and a svt head new in boxes for just 1100, and i got a line 6 spider 2 2x10 and a schecter s-1 elite for just under 900 bucks

The ebmm i want is black on black with a maplefretboard. Im one of those... what do you call them? metal heads i think. :/

6. Yum - black/black/maple SR5 :hyper:

Has to be the MM - the Fender 5's aren't all that great.

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    honestly, the sr5 has one of the best b-strings of any mass produced bass (just behind the warwicks). you may have considered a bongo, but the b-strings on those are complete rubbish from the factory.

go with the sr5, but wait for the dual pup versions. that way you get the versatility of two MM pups without the bongo's crappy b-string.

8. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Thank you very much. Yall have convinced me very well that the stingray is my piece of cake. Plus who can resist that blackblackmaple look... THis question has been asked mizillions of itmes i bet, but when is the dual humbucker version being released?

9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    if you can,t wait for the double HH,go to Bass Central,they have vest prices in Music Man than "YOUR" friend have :p

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    As the owner of at least three Bongo fivers, I challenge you to prove that wildass statement.

Yes, yes, I've had numerous other fivers, lakland, modulus, all that.

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    al the riviews says:Bongo LB is strong :bassist:

12. OT: every time I read your sig, it just cracks me up bovinehost

on topic: I got nothing else to add but I loved most of the ray 5 I have played