Good Deal? Peavey 215 4ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by truckin88, May 27, 2005.

1. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    I just bought this cab is fairly good condition, peavey 215 4ohm, only paid 100 cash, is that a good deal, I was thinking I couldn't really go wrong, prolly from the 80's sounds so good, dunno y but it does
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I personally would say it was a good deal. Its even a greater deal since you really like it. Congrats!
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    very cool

the better peavey 15" drivers are black widows (they have aluminum dust caps). the great thing is they still sell instant recone kits - the basket screws off and you end up replacing the driver itself but keeping the magnet.

anyhow, the really cool 2x15 from peavey is very deep - at least 18" but it might be even deeper. they also made a shallow one that was closer to 13" that was OK, but nowhere near as good sounding as the deep model.

i miss mine, but i don't miss hauling it around. :smug:
  4. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Let me know if you find another one! That's exactly what I'm looking for for my old school rig. It would go nicely with my Acoustic heads (150 and soon to be 450).

I had one of the deep ones years ago and I foolishly got rid of it for something more portable. Now I have no problem with keeping extra cabs around!
  5. sweet - one "our" pubs has one of these coupled to a Peavey Max head, sounds pretty good!
    Now I know it's a 4 ohm, I'm glad I never hooked the Trace up to it... hehehehe.
    The one in the pub is fairly beaten and could really do with being cleaned up - wiring an all! - but definitly a great wee (read: huge!) cab. nice deal. :)
  6. 4Saken

Nov 7, 2004

Aluminum dust caps? I dunno about the original early BW's but the new ones Peavey sells are all Black. Just lettin ya know.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Peavey cabs from the 80's are sweet. The cab I have is a 115 model with an Electro-Voice EVM-15B driver which sounds amazing! I'd like to get my mitts on a 2x15 just like it.
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had one of the shallow ones, that I paid about $100 for, and it was not a good sounding cab. Loud, but really muddy.
  9. Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    I have both an older peavey (80's) black widow 2X15 and the shallower scorpion loaded 2X15. The speakers on the black widows had silver dust caps. I have since replaced both basket assemblies and the new speakers are all black.

I am always on the lookout for another one of those old BW 2X15's. I have yet to find one. The cab is a tank, totally reliable and solid. I've always wondered what power handling the speakers are rated for...
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The black widow 2x15s are incredible. Punchiest cab i've ever heard, tons of lows, but tons of highs too. Didn't like overdrive from my bassman head at the time, but sounded really sweet with an Acoustic 220. The one I saw locally was $349, so $100 is a steal!!!
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Mmm, 80s peavey cabs rock.
  12. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    not sure how to tell, dont see any silver on the speakers, it is front ported i guess with a slot port, it sounds amazing.
  13. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    If you like how it sounds and performs and you only paid 100 bucks, I'd say you got a killer deal! Congrats!
  14. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Good is hard to go wrong with one of those.
    good solid cabinet and upgradable later on of ya want, or not.
  15. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm pretty sure PV BWs are rated at 400W
  16. Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    Even ones from the 80's? I thought I had heard that they were rated lower than newer BWs.
  17. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I dunno that . . . ask at the Peavey website.
  18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    power ratings are ... over-rated.

1. More often than not, they are made at freq's that have little or nothing to do with bass guitar

2. Speaker manufacturers have often raised the power handling of a driver at the cost of efficiency. So you had to dump more watts in to get the same volume out - WHat's the point there otherthan to sell you a bigger head ?

3. Your best judge is your ears. Turn it up a bit and then a bit more, keep on going until the cab says no. It's not like you can't hear the strain ...