Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 2slick4u, Jan 18, 2005.

1. 2slick4u

2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/480646/

I've been looking for a combo to replace my stack for some time now, as I don't need that much power anymore. I got the chance to goto a local GC and try out some amps. I looked at alot online and knew what I was going to try. I was looking for something with a lot of bottom end and some punch to go with. (BTW these are all 1x15 combo's...)

Personally I have been debating between two amps:

Ampeg BA115HP - the BA115 tweeter makes an awful hissing noise and sounds noticably worse than the HP's horn, not to mention 120 extra watts of power incase I ever do need it.

SWR Workingman's 115 - What Can I say, I loved everything about this amp, sounds great all around. Just a tad expensive though...

So back to the think that I posted before. Sadly GC did not have any of the bassman series out on the floor, so I didn't not get to play one, and have never played one before, but everything I read has been good. What's sparking my interest is that it's only $250! Sounds like quite a deal there, anyone had any experience with it and can comment on it's sound compared to either of those?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Find a used, or new B100R. It is an awesome combo if you dig the Ampeg sound.

-Mike

3. A $250 amp with warranty, probably free ship, and hopefully no sales tax.

Sounds ok to me...

Plus if you don't like it, you can return it.

4. 2slick4u

2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    MJ: Maybe it was just the one they had at GC, but I had high hopes for the B100R and was sorely disappointed when I played it. The sound was completely devoid of anything behind it. I've heard guitar amps put out more bass than that did, I cried :crying:

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I played a bassman combo the other day after seeing that. I'd get one. That's just me though.

6. lovepump69

lovepump69

Dec 14, 2004
    springfield MO
    you may want to try an ashdown combo they sound great and are not too expensive i have an ashdown mag two-tens plus tweeter that is rated at 300 watts rms 500 peak, plus it has an extension speaker output and i only paid $420 bucks for it brand new. the 15 inch model was even cheaper. check out www.americanmusical.com for price quotes and if you want less power than that also check out the ashdown electric blue combos.....i think they are rated at like 180 watts just an idea.

7. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Roland Cube 100 over the SWR any day of the week.

8. i'd say get yourself an xm200 from yorkville. i tried one for the second time last night, and i can say that it is by far the clearest amp i have played through yet, without being noisy or creating unwanted noise. the one difference i noti9ce is that it's not so much as louder than my own combo, but it's just it gives a lot of clean power without the muffled sound hat i usually play behind, which gives percieved loudness.