1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 1, 2010.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I saw a local MIM Fender Deluxe Jazz V from 1998 with Suhr pickups and electronics for $399. It is good shape, and seems like a good deal to me. Am I right?

2. That seems like a decent deal for a fiver. Does it have the OEM elecs, or has it been modded/upgraded with actual Suhr elecs?

Mine was a 4 string that I got a few years ago. Out of curiosity I emailed John Suhr about the pickups. As I recall, he said they were'nt actual Suhr pickups, but ones by Fender, based on his design. (or words to that effect)

My impression was the bass sounded "good", but not "blow-me-away" good.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    so-so deal. Not great, not bad. Do you get a case? I don't care for the pickups, but I didn't buy the bass, you are.

G

4. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I sold my '99 4 string for around that price about a year ago. Personally I'd probably try to snag it for about $350.

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Not bad. I got mine for $300 with factory pickups in like new condition (one tiny ding). Don't know about Suhr pickups but the MIM pickups are WAY less then stellar in my opinion. I love the fact that the "noiseless" pickups don't hum, but my SX blows it away in the tone department. I considered $300 a good deal.

But other than that, it a great looking, great playing, and decent sounding bass. I especially love the active electronics with the "mid" knob that give a really nice range of tone for a Fender Jazz.

Like all basses you have to judge it on an individual basis.

6. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    The older ones had the large pole piece "suhr-ish" pickups. I think the older models sound way better than the newer models with the noiseless pickups IMO.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had a MIA Jazz Deluxe back in the 1990s with Suhr electronics, and I thought it was a slammin' bass. The MIM I played yesterday had the same style pickups, and was very quiet. I played it for about three minutes before realizing that only the front pickup was on because there was no hum at all. The strings were very dead so the dark tone didn't seem that odd at first.:bassist: