1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daywalker, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    So, I wandered into GC today just to buy strings and I noticed that they have the SVT-610HLF on sale for $699! That's $100 less than the SVT-410HLF that was sitting next to it. I asked the salesman about it and he said that his manager wanted to get it sold. He said that if I bought it by the end of the weekend, he'd knock another %10 off making it $629! They had a SVT-7PRO hooked up to it and the tone/volume almost blew my freakin face off:eek:. Just wondering if I should grab this or wait to find one used like I've been doing. Thanks!!!

DW:bassist:

2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Nice deal! An SVT-610HLF would be killer, especially for just $700. You might find it cheaper used.. But then again, it's used. What was your initial budget?

If you buy it, be prepared to face the passive-aggressive wrath of TBs self-righteous ethics mob - "If I bought this for less than 200% of the RRP, I don't know if I could sleep at night or ever again. But, of course, it's your choice not to be ethical."

;)

3. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Well originally I wanted to try and find a used 610HLF for no more than $500, and a used 7PRO for around $500-$550, which is what I've seen them sell for here on TB. And trust me, I'd sleep juuuuuuust fine gettin a deal...;)

4. If you can swing it, do it... Amps are easy to buy used, but there's something special about breaking in new speakers yourself.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Good thing about it being at GC is that I can put some on my CC and then pay it off later. Still trying to decide if I should...

6. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    If I wanted a 610HLF I'd have to pay more than double that for a new unit over here.

I wouldn't even think twice about that.

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Wait no longer.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would totally do it, especially since most used 610hlf's will be SLM, which are made with OSB instead of the plywood they use now.

9. Fitz

Fitz

Oct 20, 2009
    If you don't have the cash, don't buy it.

Deals come along all the time, and that cab may as well be used judging by how many people have played through it, and that's probably why it's marked down--retail places that sell gear like GC can't sell on-the-floor merchandise as new after a certain number of months, so by policy they have to knock the price down. That's probably the case here. I say move on and just find another used cab for cheaper.

10. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Sorry, SLM???

Ok so what if they give me a brand new one in the box for the same price?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    SLM = St. Louis music, owner of the Ampeg brand from 1986-2006. Now they're owned by LOUD Electronics.

12. Fitz

Fitz

Oct 20, 2009
    Either way, you don't have the money to pay for it.

13. popgadget

popgadget Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Jimmy has an excellent point. There is a lot to be said about getting a plywood cab vs an OSB one.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not a big fan of people spending money needlessly, but not our call whether he can afford it or not, really.

15. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I have the cash to pay for $500 of it, it would be the remain $200 or so that I'd put on a card. Actually I could pay for it all in cash, but I have a "do not go below" amount of cash stashed away. I could pay off the charged $200 within a month. But anyways, I wasn't asking for financial advise, I was asking if a new SVT-610HLF for $629.99 was a good deal or not. Thanks!

16. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Why do you care?

17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A wise person said don't put gear on a card. You're paying too much with interest to get a discount.

Buy one used.

18. Fitz

Fitz

Oct 20, 2009

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Why are we busting balls about this dude's finances? First off, it's not that much money and the total interest that could accrue by putting $200 on a card for 3 or 4 months is not gigantic. Second, it's his business and his alone. I'm not in favor of people living beyond their means, but if nobody's going to starve in his family over it, who really cares? We're overstepping our bounds here, folks.

20. +1

Cause it is TB and people are bored? :scowl: