1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good DI or Good Plugin?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LawsonK, Sep 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DI + Plugin

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Straight into interface + Plugin

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Just DI

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. LawsonK

LawsonK

Jun 13, 2016
    Just wanted to put the question as to what people have had success with in the studio/home studio...

Waves just had a sale so I bought some plugins which included the Chris Alge Bass plugin as well as modelled API plugins. They make the bass sound really good!

So far I've just been plugging the bass straight into my interface... but how do you guys do it?

Been considering buying a DI (Noble/Avalon etc) but this may be as good an option?

2. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It all depends on what instrument i'm recording. I do Bass direct or sometimes with a DI box and a fx in the chain. Acoustic instruments I use small diaphram condenser mics. And for electric guitar depending on the tone, I either go direct or I mic the tweed deluxe or princeton reverb. For keyboards, synth and drum loops, I use a MIDI controller and record via the USB.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I don't see the need for a DI to record. Cables are short, no need for XLR.
    The Noble and Avalon act more like a preamp in this case.

I usually go straight to the interface, however I like to compress my signal a bit before entering it.
    Here's the thing, I prefer to get quite a high gain to get the best of the dynamic range offered by digital units.
    However, even with caution you get the occasional overdrive on peaks. The comrpessor helps avoiding that.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

If your interface is designed to accept an instrument input the DI would be redundant.

If you have plugins, why wouldn't you use them if they improve the sound ??

5. both but maybe not for what you might think. I use a few DI/pre amps (sans amp, b7k ultra, avalon737, a radial DI for reamping and to have a dry channel for different blends. I didn't use any amp modeling plug ins, but I did use some Eq plugins very minimally, mainly to dial out some of the high end bite on ballads where is sounded out of place.

6. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Plugins are great if you're ONLY recording, but I greatly prefer sending a pre-processed signal (in addition to a clean DI for reamping entirely different tones if necessary) so there's no need to "fix it in the mix".

This allows me to send a studio quality tone to FOH on gigs as well.

No right or wrong answer, options are always good :thumbsup:

7. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you're happy with the sound, you're doing it the right way.