Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good distortion/fuzz (medium intensity) recomendations

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jun 6, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I posted this in the distortion mega thread (in an attempt to cut down on the # of distortion/fuzz threads already on here), but got no reply...I think it got lost in the midst of a search function discussion. Anyway:

Any suggestions on a bass distortion/fuzz somewhwere between the Fulltone bass-drive and the Zvex woolly mammoth?

I use the fulltone to add a little gritty overdrive, and the mammoth for fuzz insanity. I need something right in the middle. Good medium thickness distortion that doesn't lose note definition. True bypass a plus, big low-end a must.

2. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's really nothing right in the middle, fuzz and distortion have different waveforms. You need to decide whether you want fuzz or distortion.

The depth charge is a fuzz, a good one.
    The black box didn't impress me.
    The EBS won't do what you want IMO
    Maybe a big muff would do you, with a cap mod for low end retention.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My Depth Charge is my favorite fuzz. Clarity, infinitely tweakable and good on batteries.

Not as good as a Muff for the "wall of sound" thing, but EH isn't the best at faster passages.

I'm about to order a Low-Tone Fuzz and I'll tell what I think about it when it gets here.

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    To clarify, I'm really looking for a distortion.

I'm pretty content with the mammoth for fuzz, but wouldn't mind another fuzz that not quite as intense.

Between my sansamp and full tone i pretty much have the OD covered.

Edit: I tried a big muff (classic-yellow and black), which was cool...but wasn't really what I was looking for. I was too trebley. Maybe with that mod it would suit my needs...any more info on that mod?