good distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by catrunes, Mar 6, 2006.

1. whats the best bass distortion? i'm looking for a tim commerford type sound with lots of low end and bite. i've been looking at the mxr blowtorch, but other than i dont know what else. something with true bypass and and preferably an onboard eq and that doesnt suck volume.but anything that sounds kick ass will work.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's a massive distortion review thread at the top of the page.
  3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Tim Crommerford used an original Marshall Guv'Nor for the first few Rage albums, and his current distortion is a mix between his overdriven tube-amp setup and a personally modded Guv'Nor.

So really, if you're looking for that Timmy C sound, crank the gain on your amp and get a Marshall Guv'Nor. They're pretty rare though, I've never seen one for sale anywhere around where I live.

Supposedly the Bass Blow Torch can also get pretty close, but I haven't tried it myself, and the few clips I've heard of it didn't sound much like Timmy C. grind at all to me.

4. im gonna go for it and claim to have done the most research into getting a timmy c like sound (see my board on the post your pedalboard thread)

As far as any one pedal getting u close to timmy c...the guvnor will get you his old RAtM tone...a depth charge or black cat bass octave fuzz (or anything modeled after the maestro brassmaster) gets u pretty close...i use a 3 amp setup using a modded brassmaster copy and an original guvnor...i played a depth charge once and found it very easy to dial in a pseudo timmy c sound...heavy amount fo clean blended w/ heavy amount of grit is the way to do it
  5. Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Xotic Bass BB Preamp
  6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I get a moderate facsimilie of the Timmy C tone from my SansAmp. True afficionados of his tone might think it's not even close, but it's close enough for me. Remember, there's a lot more involved with a particular tone than just a pedal.