good Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, May 31, 2002.

1. nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    does anyone know of a good distortion pedal that will give me a "warm" distortion, not too much clacking or muddiness, but will keep up with my B string?

2. [​IMG]

Tube booster, distortion, driver or ranger-whatever the jargon, the bottom line is always the same:
    mastering the dynamics and controlling the degree of saturation. And nothing is better suited to this purpose than a genuine, high-voltage tube-driven device.
    Like a big tube amp, the valve-based circuitry of the Tube Factor is fed upwards of 300 volts.
    Why? Because the greater range of voltage translates into a greater range of dynamics. This is the only way the tube can develop the very properties that make it so desirable:
    more overtones, more sensitive response, easier playability and enhanced tone.
    Rather than experimenting with ill-advised amp modifications, the Tube Factor is the key to getting the hottest lead sounds for vintage amps and genuine tube tone for solid state combos-in effect, instant amp tuning-without the risk of internal modifications. Tonal enlargement without an operation.

With Factor 1 and Factor 2, the Tube Factor offers two selectable overdrive stages so that, for example, both a warm tube clean sound and blistering lead tone are available at the press of a switch.

Tube Factor High-octane fuel injection for every amp, fat lead tone and the sweet sound of tube saturation - not just for guitarists.
  3. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    A Fulltone BassDrive might do the trick. I'm very happy with mine -- although it's more overdrive than distortion, I can get some supremely heavy sounds with it.

If you really want to go all out, check out an SWR Interstellar Overdrive rackmount preamp. Yummy!
    Also, quite a few bass players I've talked to really dig the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff / Big Muff Pi.

Whatever you do, don't bother with the Boss ODB pedal. It sounds like canned a#$, IMO...
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass and EBS MultiDrive. I've played 'em both and would highly recommend either one.:D
  5. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Any idea how theEBS MultiDrive compares to a Fulltone BassDrive in terms of sound, features,flexibility, quality, etc?
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I played the EBS but not the Fulltone. So, I can't compare the two.

What I can tell you, though, is that the EBS is all anyone should ever's that good:D
  7. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hi Nirvanafan

Im also a fan (big fan!) of Nirvana, and with this in mind I recommend the ProCo Rat.

Ive never actually played one, but I heard that that is what Krist used on the few instances that he used OD.

I use a ProCo Brat (AKA Roadkill) with my 5 string and its sounds great for bass. Its probably the cheapest distortion pedal in existence, but I think it works great.

If you want a better idea of what the Rat sounds like DL Nirvana's Endless Nameless (Its the secret track at the end of the Nevermind album if you have one of the later presses) or Blur's Song 2.

9. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i recently picked up a dredgetone angler that i really like. it's a very touch sensitive overdrive, the more you dig in the nastier it gets. i've also got the zvex woolly mammoth but that's a completely different pedal. it's a fuzz pedal and not overdrive so it's much more extreme sounding. it really pumps out the lows and can sound very warm depending on how you eq it.

10. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    How much do the H&K tube factors cost and where can I get one?
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like the big muff pi by EHX. Colors the tone A LOT, but if you like the sound your all set. Just need to be able to bypass it when not in use!!
  12. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I second the motion for the ProCo Rat distortion pedal. Try to get the original Rat. There are a few Rats out there, but only one Original.

I did a session a while ago and the producer ran one between me and my solid state amp. Within seconds, he turns to me and says, "Voila! Instant SVT!!" Unbelievable. (He also used it again during mixdown to add a bit more mix-defining edge to the sound.)

Try not to crank the effect up too much and the sound will be more natural.
  13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Dredgetone Angler.
  14. about $ 200 i guess.. ( paid 225 euro for mine )
  15. Heh heh... The SWR IOD is my choice in dirtyness, but if you don't want to shell out the $600 for one I suggest the Fulltone Bassdrive.