Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Documentary

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SheepHerder7898, Jun 26, 2003.

1. I'm looking for some documentaries to rent. I just can't get enough of them. The subject matter doesn't matter to me, so any good ones you've seen, tell me about them. Oh, and yes, I've seen Standing in the Shadows of Motown :) . I plan on buying that one shortly. And I also have the Rising Low, I love it. Thanks for the input.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well....this is more of a mocumentary I guess...but "american movie" is very good, it's funny as hell, and...enjoyable, not what you're looking for :p

3. Heh it doesn't matter to me. Anything that looks like a documentary. I loved Spinal Tap and Best in Show. Haven't seen any other mocumentaries but I'll check'em out.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    also...online there is a neat little documentary.

www.becominghuman.org

It might not be quite as griping as video documentaries, but there is a lot of great stuff in there, and it's produced very well.
    and oh yeah..it's free:D

5. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    If you liked Iiked Spinal Tap and Best in Show then check out Waiting for Guffman. Same guys...absolutely hilarious :D

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Following on from the spinal tap suggestion, check out 'private parts', I suppose it could be seen as a documentary!

Also, go to local charity shops, they always have documentaries on stuff from reptiles to sport.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    American Movie is not a "mocumentary." It's a full-blown documentary.

brad cook

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Some of my favorites are "Hoop Dreams" (which I watch anytime it comes on TV), "Style Wars" (fantastic 80's documentary about hip-hop/breakin culture...hard to find last time I checked), "American Movie", "Hands On A Hardbody" (this is an absolute must-see. I grew up with people very similar to this and the town is about two hours away from where I was born). There's another good one who's name is escaping me now about the teens who were convicted of ritual murder in a small town and it seemed to sort of be a witch hunt. It was good but my aging mind fails me.

brad cook

9. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    paradice lost?? ..was it ..the west memphis 3??

Damien Echols, and company??

I really dont know what to think about them. I have sorta mixed feelings, I dont know if they did it or not. I have doubts that they did though.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I was afraid of that :(

It's damn funny, though certainly rather sad, when you look at it...

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Errol Morris films:

The Thin Blue Line

Mr. Death

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't feel pity for Mark B. He's definitely aware of how he's viewed and I think he plays to it a little. He's very flamboyant and has some strange ideas but he appears to be a pretty smart guy who has milked this documentary to it's fullest. This is what I've concluded from reading his diaries at www.americanmovie.com. Interesting guy. Now Mike on the other hand...I feel for that guy! The DVD is worth seeing too...it has tons of deleted scenes and material. It was a poignant documentary though I must say. It had some genuinely sad moments (on a human level...not on a "i feel sorry for these guys level") such as when Uncle Bill died. It was hilarious too.

brad cook

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah Paradise Lost. That was it. I didn't know what to think at the end either but the movie was quite a ride. It seemed to me like they (the prosecutor) didn't pursue the grown man who was questioned enough either.

brad cook

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive never seen SITSOM nor have I seen previews for it. But is it an actual documentary or its it more a documentary type movie?

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just revisiting this thread from last year. Good news! Style Wars has been available now for a while and it comes in a two DVD set that has plenty of extras and even interviews with the now-grown-up stars of the original documentary. Great stuff, everyone should see it!!

brad cook

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What about "Uncle Saddam"? That's a great one.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Mainly though I was revisiting this thread because I've seen a couple of good documentaries I wanted to add to this since last year.

Dogtown and Z-Boys is great as is "Stoked: The Rise and Fall of Gator." Those two would be of special interest to people like me, who great up skateboarding in the 80's.

However, I recently saw, on a purely artistic level, one of the greatest documentaries I've ever seen. Errol Morris's "The Fog of War." No matter what you think of Robert McNamara this is an incredible movie. WOW! The way Morris edits the stock footage with footage of McNamara speaking and his voice with the music of Philip Glass is just superb. McNamara is just a naturally captivating speaker IMO and listening to him speak along with Glass's music reminds me of pieces from Scott Johnson that the Kronos Quartet have performed on various albums. Anyway...it was good. It was interesting to see this not long after watching "The Weather Underground." You kind of see two sides of the story on some parallel events by watching both of these movies. The Weather Underground doesn't even approach Fog of War though on any kind of artistic level and I found the former to be a pretty straightforward, humdrum documentary.

brad cook

18. A Mighty Wind- The Spinal Tap of Folk music, Michael Mckean and Chris Guest are in it as well as a few other Tap veterans. Not as funny as the Tap but ya know what is?

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe someone should start a "Mockumentary" thread so this one can stay focused on documentaries...maybe I will.

brad cook