1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Double bass for a cheap price?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Hey, first time posting here. (I think, I might have before, I forgot) I used to play Double Bass in my school orchestra and strings section. But, since I changed to a school with no music program last semester, Ive had to drop my playing. I've always wanted to own a double bass of my own, but I don't have the money for a 3000-4000 dollar bass. I was wondering if any of you could recommend to me a good Double bass for a good price ($500-$1500) that isn't warped or made out of cardboard. Thanks in advanced and have a grrreat day. Peace

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Have you read the "Newbie Links: BASSES" thread stuck to the top of this forum? There's a lot of good info in there. At the bottom end of that price range, there's nothing worth messing with. Around the top of it and a few hundred $ beyond, you can look at Englehardt, Bob G Bulgarian Basses, Strunal, Shen, and Christopher, to name but a few. I know of a place near here to get an excellent Shen for under $2000. If there's one near Louisville, there's probably one near CO. But read up first...you'll be far more likely to get answers to a more specific question. Good luck.

3. oh yea, I should always check the newbie guides. Thanks for the reminder and the bits of info. Peace

4. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    IAMERICCOCHRANE,

My definition of a good bass is something that is playable (good action) has some volume, sounds good to your ear, makes (beckons?) you to play it, has a good solid feel to it. IMHO.

That said, the bass I'm selling is all that! :)
    Listen to these guys, read, study, see and play as many as you can. Take your time.

I can't believe you'd be able to walk into a bass that has all of the above for under $ 800. Good luck with it. Oh... buy mine!

5. Josh McNutt

Josh McNutt Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Denton, Texas (UNT)
    He's in Colorado. Isn't that a bit far to drive?

6. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Doug,

I like your spirit!