1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good drum kit for a 13 year old boy into rock and metal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Holy War, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Getting a kit for my brother. Its gotta come with hardware and cymbols to start out and needs to be under $900.

Hes into AC/DC, Metallica, Mastodon, Sleep, Wolfmother, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Guns N Roses, High on Fire, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Megadeth etc etc etc

What do you guys think I should get him? Im thinking Ludwig or Tama

edit: By the way, hes been playing trumpet and piano for the last 5 years or so and is very talented musically. Knows how to read music, understands some theory etc etc (I know, not TOO important for drummers :ninja:, but he still knows his stuff)

I would ask my drummer friends, but most of them are space cadets and I only trust a handful of them haha

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ludwig and Tama are a good start. TBH I have no idea on drum costs in the states or even Canada..
    IME though you are much better off in the long run buying a good quality set of hi-hats and large crash to begin with (used as well, scout ebay for good finds, really good way to save money), even a crash/ride and collect cymbals as you develop your playing style and figure out what you really want. Generally the cymbals in starter kits are below par quality wise.
    As far as cymbals go, I prefer Meinl, Ufip and high end Sabian. Cheap cymbals are just something that sound so nasty to my ears, I even put more money into my cymbals than my shells. Whatever the kit, put a descent set of heads on it and it should sound fine for a beginner/intermediate.

Have you looked around for a used kit, or even a local drum company? Sometimes you can have a custom builder close by that will do much better beginner kits for less $$.

Hope that helps in some way.

EDIT: Also check out Sonor's. They're a great quality kit and the hardware they come with is worth well more than what you pay. Tama's known for their good hardware as well.

3. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I have an "in" at C&C, so I may go that route. I agree about the cymbols and heads though for sure. Very important to help prevent peoples ears from bleeding. Saiban is definitely good stuff, though I may check out some nice Paistes as well. Its gonna be his Xmas gift, so I have some time to shop around a bit

4. First of all, do you have the space to accomodate an acoustic drum kit? Are your parents and neighbours tolerant to high volume levels? if the answer for these two questions is no, then you should be lokkingg for an E-drum kit, this is agood starter kit http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-DTXplorer-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=490906

If the space and noise aren't an issue then this are very good ones

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...-Elite-Fusion-5Piece-Satin-Drumset?sku=447750
    http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-Rockstar-5Piece-Drum-Set?sku=501110

Cymbals are not included, but usually when you buy drums the included cymbals are crap.

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    hes fine in those regards, and theres no way in hell Im getting him an electronic kit. I also know that symbols and hardware included with a kit are usually not very good, but hes just starting. I just talked to my buddy at C&C, we may get something going on for him tomorrow.

Im not a complete n00b at drums, but Im definitely not an expert, so treat me as such please (not directed at anyone in particular, just need to let it be known)

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    If i was playing drums i would kill for a tama kit, i know steven adler of GNR used one. My friend who plays drums swears by rogers i dont know if they even sell that brand anymore

7. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Cymbals.
    Sabian.

C&C, really? Those sets are pretty darn pricey, even with an "in". Bill does some great work, but is it really needed? For someone just learning, and also someone into metal, it seems a bit much. IMO, that money would be better spent on a more mid-level drumset with professional level cymbals (b20, unless you go the Paiste route). Most mid-level sets come with decent enough stock heads. For starting, they'll be fine.

Unless of course, I'm terrible mistaken and your in with C&C permits an astounding "we're-not-gonna-cover-the-cost-of-parts-or-labor" sort of deal, in which case, go for that. He'll never outgrow that set, that's for sure. And if, God forbid, he doesn't really take to the drums, you could easily eBay the kit for more than you paid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/C-C-Custom-4-pc...sion?hash=item51879a81f8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

For reference.

8. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Nothing about it would be custom. The drums would be ones that are already made and back stocked. I dont know numbers yet nor do I know what drums we're talking about, but my buddy is supposed to get back to me today about it with pics and price numbers. Even if he does out grow it (which I really hope he doesnt), I would gladly snag em up and keep them at my place. Also, about the metal thing, the guys from Mastodon and Tourche and Hull use them, and Ive heard all 3 live, and they sound fantastic. I know that they are drums that can last, probably, multiple life times.

But ya, I may just go with an intermediate and cymbals and harware, depends on a lot of things. Like I said, it is going to be a Xmas present, so Im going to take my time and shop around.

Thanks for the advise though, much appreciated :bassist:

9. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Sorry if I was unclear, I wasn't implying the drums would sound bad in a metal setting (on the contrary, those drums sound good, period), but rather drummers who are both starting out and drummers who are into metal tend to be...over enthusiastic. They like to hit things. Hard.

I have about half a dozen friends who when starting out, have damaged bearing edges while attempting to play faster than they realistically can go, and hit the edges of the head, damaging the bearing edge. Those drums are essentially unusable at this point, as they simply cannot be tuned properly.

I don't mean to imply that your son is uncoordinated, but on the off chance he does have, uh, "targeting issues", I'd much rather see a mid-level set take the wrath of his inexperience than a C&C.

Keep us posted, I'm interested to see how this turns out! :cool:

10. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    out of those two choices, i'd pick tama. They are known for the metal sound - a thick kick sound with a good top end, and deep wet sounding toms. Of course you could change the sound of any kit with a good set of heads. 1-ply, 2-ply, oil filled, possiblilties are endless. I would suggest going on craigslist anyway even though you have faith he'll keep with it. You can always find good deals on there where daddy went out and bought jr a kit and he played it four times, couldn't get as fast as joey jordison, and then gave up for rockband.

cymbals are up in the air also, but paiste's are about 30-50% more than all other brands. fyi.
    your best deal will be a set with crash, ride, and hats. xs20 sabians aren't exaclty budget, but a mid-level beginner. they will sound better than them nasty b8's or zbt's.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There is only one correct answer to this question!

A silent one!! :p

12. Quadcam

Quadcam

May 8, 2009
    FL
  13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Or do like I did and watch Craigslist diligently for a while. I got my daughter a drumset last December for her birthday/Christmas. I started out with a bargain set. Then I realized what crap the cymbals were and started looking for deals on quality cymbals. Then I firgured that every drummer I ever worked with wanted to expand his kit, so I went and got the other pieces available in that finish in case they discontinued it soon.

I ended up spending around $900. But I got her a seven piece PDP kit with seven (mostly*) Zildjian A Custom cymbals. *Some were other Zildjian series, but all about that level of quality, no ZBT's or anything like that. She's not likely to grow out of this kit very soon.

edit: This is the kit I got her: http://www.pacificdrums.com/fs/default.asp , the black to red fade one. Look at all the finishes and one will have all seven sizes available, but it's not set up like hers. Weird.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Find good cheap ones on CL all the time. Pearl Exports, Tama Rockstars, Ludwig Accents with hardware, decent cymbals etc all day long

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This post made e remember an amazing drummer I jammed with back in the '80's. He had a pretty much room sized kit, assembled one piece at a time, from basically every drum manufacturer. He was the first guy I ever saw with a rack for his drums. He built it himself. I don't think they were commercially available yet.

He'd go to all the local pawn shops/garage sales/whatever and say 'Hmmmm. I don't think I have a tom that size. I'll take it.' or 'A Ludwig floor tom. Cool. I only have that size in Tama, Pearl, and Slingerland" I think by the time he was done he could made a decent five to eight piece kit from each of all the major companies. He covered them all with foil to look like a huge silver set.