1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good E substitute on an Obligato set?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jason Sypher, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a good E substitute for a set of Obligatos. I like the strings enough but the E is a bit too soft. I do all kinds of playing but practice mostly with a bow. Thanks.

2. I don't know if Olivier is still lurking in the forum, but I think he uses a Thomastik Dominant E to go with his Obligatos.

3. I switched to Innovation 140B. Same dark sound with a lot more volume and faster arco response.

Mark

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hi! Back at lurking after three weeks of summer vacation...
    The dominant E is still doing its job. Before that I tried Permanent and Helicore hybrid medium, but trey did not mix well with the remaining three Obligatos.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Just in case anyone still cares: ...to releave some gas symptoms, I got a set of Corelli 370 TX. The E provides a good substitute for the E Obligato. :)

The rest of the set is for sale.:(

6. Salut Olivier.
    They're too bright, no? :)

7. Francois, Olivier:
    The people that sell strings must absolutely love you. :)

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    This doesn't apply as much to those who are pizz players, but for you orchestral types, I found this very interesting:

Posted by KPO on the 2xbasslist:

After hearing a lot of observations from Max Dimoff (principal bass, Cleveland
    Orchestra), I'm not so sure I want to mix and match.

Since there is no screen in any round of Cleveland's auditions, he was able to
    see that those people with "cracking" tone or "harsh tone problems" were the
    ones with mixed sets who had to adjust for string type from string to string.

He also mentioned that those playing Helicore brand strings sounded scratchier
    and brighter in general, and that kind of sound made their audition "really
    short".

Some food for thought anyway.

Monte

9. Yeah, sure:D

Concord is 10 minutes from my house. Convenient, but I am very happy with International Violin, of Baltimore.

10. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Indeed, although the brightness mellows down after a while. Rather on the metallic type of sound by comparison with the Obligato.

Some collect strings, others collect double basses...;)

11. One can resell a used bass...:D

12. ... and used strings too! ;)