1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good easy Jazz tunes?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by markanini, Oct 31, 2010.

1. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    I'm looking for recomendations of jazz standards that are important to have under your belt and not to difficult for the novice.

So far it's been rewarding playing these songs with a few friends looking to develop jazz improvisation skills:
    Afro Blue
    My favortie Things
    So What

2. Go over to Ralph Patt's Jazz Web Page. You'll find hundreds of jazz standards with simplified chord charts and backing tracks you can use to learn new songs.

http://www.ralphpatt.com/index.html

3. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I started with Summertime (jazz blues) and Blue Bossa.

4. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Oleo
    Take The A Train
    On Green Dolphin St.
    Straight, No Chaser
    In A Sentimental Mood
    Autumn Leaves
    My Funny Valentine
    Stella By Starlight

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  6. Easy?

Friday Night at the Cadillac Club
    All Blues
    Footprints
    Cantaloupe Island
    Watermelon Man

7. No offense, but considering the chord changes of some of those songs I would hesitate to consider them easy. For example, Take the A Train; While walking over rhythm changes should be a stable in every jazz bassist's arsenal it's not something I'd consider yet for a novice.

8. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Thanks guys! With the resources mentioned and songs suggested I feel like I could be a decent jazz player in no-time and get my friends inspired as well. That and some Carol Kaye books. Maybe one day I'll have the guts to join a jazz jam without being like: "Uhm, you guys know Mr. PC?"

9. This is a must:
    BLUES in F Bb Eb C Ab and G

Then
    MINOR Blues in C G and D
    Saga of harrison Crabfeathers
    Song for My Father
    Impressions-So What
    Red Clay
    Satin Doll
    All of me
    Sweet Georgia Brown
    This is a must:
    Indiana in F as soon as you can transpose to any key, It has all the "tonal" common movements
    How high the moon
    Scrapple from the apple
    Lady Bird
    The list never ends

10. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Take the A Train isn't a rhythm changes tune.

11. THE BLUES!! all keys. once you get it in one, just move it around.
    Softly as in a Morning Sunrise is easy and a great tune, as is autumn leaves.

Rhythm changes aren't that hard anyway, for a novice. If you cant walk over the first 8 bars well, all one has to do is generalize the changes in those first 8 bars to Bb (most likely) or whatever key you want to play in. Then the bridge cycles around. anyway enough of my babbling....the blues and rhythm changes are your best bet to start because there are so many tunes written over those changes. good luck and have fun!

12. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
  13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    In three volumes, no less...

14. I like to play along to Manetca by Dizzy Gillespie. Fun Latin tune worth a gander. I have an extended version that has a few solo sections I typically improvise over. It's great fun to play along to jazz.

15. pig

pig

Jul 18, 2009
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    The Saga of Harrison Crab Feathers really? That is a hard tune the form is not exactly what you call normal.

16. Yep 16-16-8-16
    Not so hard...
    Modal tune, easy melody, 10 chords 1 in 56 bars...
    Not so hard...

There are many levels of playing any song, when I listen Chick Corea play autumn leaves almost poo in my pants.
    But is also a begginer song...

Saga is excelent for begginer combos, and easy for sight reading in Jam
    :hyper::bassist::hyper:

17. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    Generally steer away from bop for beginning. Those are some way-crazy chords.

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Yes. Dominant 7th chords with a flat five are TOTALLY mean bear crazy.

19. I hang out at local jazz venues, and there are certain songs I always hear.

Chameleon
    Inner City Blues
    People Make the World Go Round
    Senor Blues
    Red Clay
    All Blues
    Watermelon Man
    The World is a Ghetto

All great songs.

20. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    This website is amazing anyone another site like it????? Chord charts and backing tracks!!

I would give this guy 5$ a day for a resource like this

http://www.ralphpatt.com/index.html