Good effect processor for a RICK

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fireglo forever, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Hello everyone!
    I'm not really new to talkbass.. i just haven't posted anything in years.. so i just created a new user.

My question is, whats a very good multi-effects processor for a Rickenbacker. Up to now, i've just been using separate effect pedals, with different combinations on each channel (rick-o-sound option, remember?) and connecting each channel to a different amp or to the two inputs of the same amp. This has worked great so far, but i want to start experimenting with more and crazier effects, and i think buying a multi-effects would save me a lot of money, and space too. Oh, and 9v batteries aswell.

So, do you guys know if there is a processor out there that has a stereo input and two mono outputs (or one stereo output) with which you can put different effects to each channel? One setup i like is having chorus and delay on my bass pup and distor and wah on my trebble pup. Im looking for a multi-effects that lets me do this kind of thing and more.

I remember my cousin had a pandora for guitar and he was able to put some effects on both channels, but i dont think he could make combinations like that.

Can anybody help me out? Any info would be great!
  2. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Hey dude, I have a Rick (Fireglo) also! I first have a question, in the manual, it says to NEVER use both outputs at the same time, do you actually use them both at the same time, or did i misconstrue your post? One time I tried both of the to two inputs on one amp, and no sound came out. I didn't have any effects plugged in though. Second, the manual talks about a device called the Rick-O-Sound kit. Try looking for that. That might be exactly what you need. Talk to you later.
  3. Hehe, no man, you got my post all wrong :) .

Well, to answer your question. Your rick has two outputs, one is the mono output (both pups through the same channel) and the other is the "rick-o-sound" output, which is basically a stereo output, in which each pup goes though one of the two channels.

I think the neck pup goes through the left channel and the bridge pup goes through the right channel, i cant remember right now.

You are not supposed to use both ports sumiltaneously, and you don't need to because you want either mono or stereo, not both, right?

Now, the rick-o-sound box is nothing but a 1-stereo to 2-mono converter. In other words, it has one stereo input (to which you plug your bass using the stereo port) and it has two mono outputs. So this box pretty much converts your stereo bass into 2 separate mono instruments :) . I dont have this box, because its expensive.. instead i just built my own with Radio Shack components. Its super easy, and way cheaper than the real thing.

Now, this is not an effects processor, so no, this is not what im looking for.

Let me know if you have any more questions about your Rick!
  4. Well...
    am i destined to buy individual effect pedals or what??
    I cant believe no one has any suggestions! :(
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have an old Rick 4001 that I use at rave gigs w/ a DigiTech BP8 Paradigm. Normally, I like separate effects, like Carl Martins, because there's no diddling around to dial up something and the good individual, dedicated effects usually sound better, but the BP8 really works well with the Rick, especially the chorus on the top end with roundwounds. It's made specifically for bass. One place I know that has them online is