Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Effects to use when slapping

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lewibassist, Jan 15, 2005.

1. What effects do you like to use when slapping. I hav just bought a morley dual bass wah and it doesnt work to well with slapping. I want something that will make a funky type of wah wah sound that does not effect the tone of my bass .I was thinkin of somethin like a Ebs bass IQ or Electro Harmonix q tron or a mini q tron. So what effects do you like to use when you are slapping.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    id advise against the mini qtron, i thought mine was rubbish, a really weak effect, but then some really love it. The Ebs BassIQ is generally thought to be the best 'plug and play' of the pedals you meation.

3. Cheap, common, works well w/bass.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I haven't heard one, but I'd like to try it. I like the idea of the blend control, so you can back it off and make the effect subtle.

Joe

5. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I have a Q-Tron that I bought specifically to use in one song that my band plays.... a slap 'solo' if you will. I find that heavy slapping almost overloads the tron, but if you limit the signal going in, it can sound infinitely funky. I just realized I can probably put a compressor before it and make it work better than ever! I'll try it and let you know.

6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    A bit depending on the fact what style you play, there are lots of fx thinkable. I've got the Octabass, Unichorus and BassIQ of the EBS range, but I can use them all...

7. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    Well.. i suggest first buying EBS multicomp :) it´s not effect, but you get your slap sounding even better! :) :bassist:
    hmm... bass IQ from EBS is great! i works as well as fingering and slapping! :bassist:

8. Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go for the EBS bass IQ and also i found a EBS unichorus so i think il be ok with them. :D

9. Hey, you should investigate and if you can try a Meatball from Lovetone. I just got mine on ebay in the US and it is pretty amazing the stuff you can do with it. Of course, like most effect you have to use it with taste (ie sparsely).
    Actually it seems like www.dinosaural.com is now re-manufacturing the meatballs! The owner is the original design engineer from Lovetone.
    http://www.dinosaural.com/productsandservices.asp
    Their price seem much more reasonable than the ones on ebay (well, with the conversion $ to EURO you may not save that much)

10. Oops, ok you're in Wales... so it should be easy for you then...

11. I got one of those Bassballs not too long ago. They make pretty cool sounds in general, but it does sound neat when you're slappin around.

12. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Nou you've got the BassIQ, try the HiQ mode with some distortion. Then slap that axe! :smug:

(With the Octabass as icing on the cake it's as funky as hell)

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i use a unichorus and an emma disconbobulator