Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by floydbass, Jun 7, 2003.

1. hi everybody i was wondering what are some good effects to have for your bass cause i just got my first bass yesterday but no effects , any suggestions?????

2. ok, if you got your first bass yesterday, I don't wanna seem like i'm a @$$hole, but don't get any effects yet. Learn the basics first, then get a cheap multi effects pedal. The reason is because you probably will end up spending a good amount of money on effects, with probably bad playing, since it will cloud your practice habits.

3. I've found that the best Bass Effects are mostly
    of the vintage variety. I'm not going to share
    which ones, or why; because they are hard enough
    to find without telling the world how great they are.

4. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    Honestly, I think freaky fender is right. If you've just started playing bass, then the absolute best thing for you is to work on getting a good foundation, mainly technique-wise. I really think a bunch of effects will just distract you or mask any poor physical technique and this could quickly develop into some bad habits which could be difficult to break. I also can tell you from personal experience that it is much more rewarding to teach yourself how to get different sounds out of the bass just by varying how you use your hands. You'd be surprised how many different tones you can coax out of those strings with out ever touching an EQ or any effects (and when you do decide to get some effects, you'll have the skills to use them that much more effectively). If you feel you must forgo the usual (and probably smartest) path, then any of the various cheap multieffects would probably be a good starting point to find the kind of effects you like and want to use. I hope this helps in your decision and good luck.

5. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    Aside from just "learn how to play first", which is definitely a good point, LEARN what sound you
    like first. Get used to the bass and the sound you like, then picking effects will be much easier.
    Otherwise, you'll end up wasting quite a bit of money on effects that you won't like or use after
    a while.

6. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I've been playing 15+ years, and I still have yet to NEED effects... I've owned a few... I've used them on gigs... but every time I've walked away thinking- "wow... that would have sounded better without the effects."

The bass is an amazing instrument in itself... learn it, learn MUSIC, then learn how to apply the icing...

spend the $200 bucks or so you would have spent on 2 or 3 pedals on a couple of months of lessons with a pro teacher in your area... that will get you farther than Doug Wimbish's rig ever would have.

ek