Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good english speaking...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basstyra, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Hello !

You may (or not...) know I'm french, english isn't my mothertongue.

I'm just wondering... and I'm sure you could help !

I know the expression "on the edge", which is, translated in french, "sur le fil". In english, "fil" is "wire". I recently founded a french saing "on the wire", so, does this expression have any sense (appart the first concrete sense) ?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    je ne pense pas, c'était probablement un français qui a traduit litérallement.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ask kserg. You'll recognize him by his impeccable english.

:bag:

brad cook

4. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    "On the wire" is an uncommon expression in english, usually used by journalists, referring to information communicated to all journalists from a central source ("this information came on the wire this afternoon that Michael Jackson was acquitted").

"Down to the wire" is a more common english expression that means something is being done at the last minute, or near a deadline (echeance). ("It is coming down to the wire for the New York Rangers to score a goal")

Peut-etre, the closest to your expression "sur le fil" would be "walking a tightrope" (une situation dangereuse, comme un acrobat dans la cirque, qui a une defi de balance).

Salut!

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering