1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good enough to play in a band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, May 12, 2015.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    How do you know when you are good enough to play in a band?

2. Usually it happens after your 5th or 6th band... sometimes sooner, sometimes later ;)

3. It's not up to you to decide that , you can (or should) always rely on your bandmates. If someone asks you to play, you could assume that they think you're good enough for them. That's what I tell myself everytime I get gigs with serious serious cats, people that play wayyy better than me ;)

4. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    That's kinda tough to answer.

A person can have no talent but have all the confidence in the world and think they're ready. Conversely, a very talented person may have no confidence at all. In both cases, their perception of their readiness is off the mark.

Given that, you really don't know when you're ready until you've joined a band.

Then again, everyone is ready to join a band. The question becomes, which bands are ready for you?

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

This. If someone else wants you to play with them, you're good enough for them.

The way it was with me, when I first started playing about six years ago, after a few months I got bored of playing by myself to a CD. So I made a Craigslist ad, was honest about my lack of experience, and just said I was looking for people to jam with. Found some people before too long, jammed with them a year, never gigged. But I got more confident in my ability and got hungry to gig. Went through various other auditions and groups over time and finally landed in a group that got gigs. At a TB GTG a couple years ago, a guy liked my playing enough to actually set me up with a friend of his who needed a bassist. That felt good. I still have a lot to learn, but nobody's fired me yet, so I'll keep going.

6. At 18s my guitar teacher asked me to join his band... as bass player. I said "I don't even have a bass...". Months later my father came home with a bass for me, so I instantly become a "bass-player" (the quotes are necessary!!). I said to my teacher "I don't know how to play bass", he said "I don't care". He teached me and made me learn the bass lines from old recordings (with other bass players). That was it for me, since then I never stopped playing.

Playing, year 1997:
    pfff.

1997 vs 2012, with my guitar teacher:
    1997vs2012.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Tbone76, Shimmi, ImNotJoel and 7 others like this.
  7. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    If people want you to be in their band, you're good enough. They'll also let you know if you aren't good enough.

Krystal Childs and hrodbert696 like this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You go to the audition. If they hire you, you're good enough.
    But, we can all get better.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  9. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
    Band offers are weird.
    Back in the beginning, if you had a Bass and an amp... You were IN!

I received a couple of offers practicing for or after jazz band concerts in HS.

I beat out a much better player/performer for a Beatles band in a community talent show tryout... Because I was tall and white.

Mostly, I got offers because I was ALWAYS playing somewhere. Once I left my gigging band, I got calls for about a year, after that... zilch. Out of sight, out of mind.

10. You're ALWAYS good enough to play with somebody, Never good enough to play with who you really want to.

11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Just Do It!

12. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You get an email.

13. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    When you can play songs from beginning to end.

14. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Nah.. that's what makes a GUITAR player good enough/ready to join a band! :woot:

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  15. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    Tuber has some wise words. You can really start anytime it just depends on if a band is ok with it. When I started I learned by either finding other green horns or was upfront and honest with the better musicians about my experience and skill. Even doing a craigslist add calling all green horns it's not a taboo thing to see on craigslist everyone's gotta start somewhere. Everyone's starting point comes from a off tempo, fret buzzing, out of tune, horribly EQed place.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.