Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good entry level bass - Peavy Milestone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alb, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Alb

Alb

Jun 6, 2005
    Hi friends!

My son and I are looking for a good entry level bass that would also record adequately.

A few ideas we have so far are the Fender (Mex) Jazz, Carvin B4 kit, and at the lower end of these, the Peavy Milestone.

Could I get some ideas from you all?

Thanks Much!

Alb

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    what's your price range?
    If you don't mind doing a little work, get an SX (rondomusic.com), swap in new pickups and a heavier bridge, and you'll have a sweeeeet little recording bass.

I have a mexi jazz that I like a lot, haven't recorded with it yet though.

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    All are decent choices, but for the best value, check out the SX basses at www.rondomusic.net. There is a MEGATHREAD on theses basses on this forum (aka ESSEX Basses) that you can peruse for more info, but, speaking as an owner of all of the basses that you mentioned and an SX, I strongly reccommend the SX. The Carvin kit would be a great father/son DIY project, but the SX would be the best "get you going right away" bass.

So, get the Carvin Kit and an SX!
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

4. Alb

Alb

Jun 6, 2005
    Price range would be $200 to $400.

Thanks!!!!

Al

5. Alb

Alb

Jun 6, 2005
    I just went to rondomusic.com and **** a brick at the deal you were talking about.

Solid Alder body Jazz style for $99.00 Damn!!!

Thanks Much!!!

Al

6. BSteele

BSteele Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Nantucket, MA
    Just got one of their P-bass copies, and I'm astounded at the quality and value of these instruments. For a beginner, you really could not do much better. Out of the box, this thing sounded great and needed only minor tweaks to the intonation and action.

Big ups to Rondo. :D