Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good EUBs available to the UK

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by therealting, Aug 17, 2004.

1. So I walked into the Bass Centre here in London to see what's new in these parts... well to cut a long story short I walked out with a brochure for the NS Design instruments.

Wait - let me start by saying I know I am not intending to be a DB purist as unfortunately I do not have the time to commit to it. In addition, I do not have a car so lugging around an acoustic is unlikely to be an option for some time - I have a lightweight amp setup in the works.

I tried a 4 and a 5 string and really liked the 5 - the spacing was much more comfortable for me. and after 10 minutes I was able to find my way around it reasonably well. The 6 might suit me even better as I tend to dabble in the more ridiculous electric bass guitars, but I digress.

Are the NS Design instruments the ones I should be looking at? I have looked through past threads and have not found much information on them - the Ergo instruments seem to have been well-received by many of the posters here and at a substantially lower price too, which would be much better for me.

Any feedback or recommendations would be much appreciated. If there are other details I could give that would make it easier to pinpoint what I am looking for, please let me know. I also realise this question has probably been asked to death, but I have not found a satisfactory answer yet.

Thanks,
    Johann

2. I can't recommend Bassix enough... www.bassix.net. They're down on the south coast.

I have a Bassmaster and I'm looking to upgrade to a Jazza in the near future. They're semi-hollow so have a much 'woodier' and more traditional tone than the NS's, Clevingers, etc. If you're after a Tony Levin NS-type tone, they might not be for you, however.

I have no feedback issues (and we play LOUD sometimes), and engineers at bigger gigs are always knocked out by it.

They're also a LOT more inexpensive than most of the competition.

(all of this is IMO, obviously!)

3. The Bassmaster Hybrid looks amazing, although less portable than the stick-type EUBs. I'll get in contact with Alan to see whether it would be possible to try one out. Do you have any clips of it?

Thanks!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You obviously haven't searched enough, as I have written pages and pages on the NS EUBs - there was another thread in the last few weeks!!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138958

I've had mine for over 2 years now and have been very pleased with it - no problems and it sounds better and better !! :)

5. Alan is a great guy - he's very helpful.

The only clip I have on-line at the moment doesn't really show it off... it's a bit of a country thing which doesn't call for anything other than an acoustic-style 'thump'...!

To listen to it, click here (courtesty of www.giglistings.co.uk)

I'll upload something a bit more useful tonight.

6. SPRUCE (hope I'm not being rude here, trying to get into the lingo), thanks for the link - I'd read that thread but there wasn't much more than what is written in the brochure. I'm interested to hear any comparisons with other instruments too.

OTTER OF MINE, nice clip. It sounds an awful lot like an electric bass though, or is that just me?

7. That's crappy compressed streaming audio for you! It's nothing like an elecric bass... believe me.

I'll post a couple of better clips tonight.

8. Also, for the NS instruments - how does the EU range compare with the CR range?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well, as I said, I have written pages and pages here - if none of that is what you need, then I don't know what else to say!!??:meh:

But basically - instruments are subjective things - that's a big reason why I would never buy without trying.

So - you try it and like how it feels, plays and sounds - then you buy it!! Couldn't be simpler!

10. Thanks SPRUCE. I will try to try a few others (including Bassix as suggested by OTTER) and see how they compare. The NS was huge fun but I avoid buying the first thing I see purely on principle.

OTTER, I like the sound of the bass in that song a lot more. I guess I'm going to have to take a trip down to see Alan. Thanks!

11. Bruce Lindfield

I think there sre a few things to bear in mind when assessing the sound of the NS basses,which I have mentioned before.

So firstly - the more you play it like a DB, the more it sounds like one - pulling across the strings with fleshy part of the finger, using open strings etc. - and the more you play it like a BG the more it sounds like a BG!

Secondly - raising the action has an impact on sound - they were all too low in the shop, for me.

Lastly -strings have a big impact on sound - so the stock ones, to me are like BG flatwounds. I bought some Pirastro Orchestral strings - proper DB strings and they sound very different - especially the G string - much less like fretless BG! :)

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    have you tried the "Bridge" bass ?

13. I was definitely trying to play it like a DB, not that I'm any good at that at present. Also I'm not sure whether they'd be too comfortable with me playing around with the action and strings just to see what it sounds like. But I will take that into consideration.

I haven't heard of the "Bridge" bass. Who makes it?

OTTER, I called Alan today and he was very friendly and helpful. I might just take a trip down to see what his stuff is like. The fact that his standard instruments is half the price doesn't harm things at all especially as I'm just starting.

14. Realting: yeah - he's a great guy. Tell him Michael from Newcastle sends his regards.

Bruce: You're exactly right re: right-hand technique. I started playing with 'normal' finger style (i.e. plucking the strings) as I'd only played electric bass previously. As soon as I started pulling across them.. what a difference!

15. Alan has a couple of new models which look fantastic! I will be going to try one out sometime.