1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good ext. cab for a Markbass CMD 102P?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ack, Oct 15, 2013.

1. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I am looking to go lightweight on my bass rig and sell off my Peavey Pro500 w/ 210TVX & BX115-BW (both are 4 Ohm cabs).

I recently bought an ever-so-slightly used Markbass 350/500W combo (CMD 102P) for a great price, and it is truly great and completely different than the PV.

I play mostly rock and even with the confined space of our jam room and the over-the-top drum kit, the Markbass does pretty well.

For some outdoor gigs, I am looking to expand it with an 8 Ohm 210 cabinet, stack them sideways into a vertical 4x10. I'd love to keep the cost to the $350-400 range.

I've looked at the Markbass 102HF (Standard, Front Ported), which is exactly the same dimensions as my combo, but they are pretty dear for an expansion cabinet ($700 on sale).

I've been looking around locally for a good/used cabinet made by any of the reputable companies, but I don't have a lot of experience with some of the brands, i.e.; Ashdown, Avatar, Eden, Bergantino, GK, etc. I've been playing Peavey since I picked up the bass.

I did see a used Bergantino HT210 (8 Ohms & Handles 400W) for $375 on eBay, but it weighs in at 64 lbs., and I was hoping to keep the weight down a bit.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom about some of the brands I've mentioned or some that I should be looking at to fit my criteria?
    Thanks.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I was going to suggest the Markbass 102HF but you've already stated that it's pricey. Not sure what other cabs would match sonically with that combo.

If you're on a budget and you only need the extra once in a while, then get something like an Avatar 410 and put the combo on top, disconnect the speakers in the combo and just run the amp with the 410.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The perfect match is the MB 102HF, and anything else will be a bit of a gamble. Look for a used one, if you want to be sure of the outcome, or try everything else you can find, and see how well they play together. Or, as Freddels suggested, just get one large 4 ohm cab, and disconnect the internal spkrs.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    The Markbass cabs mix well with each other...one popular combination is to add
    the 151p to the 210. I use that set up and it sounds fantastic. I put the 10s on top.

5. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    The MarkBass New York 121 is a perfect match for the CMD112P.

[​IMG]

6. MotorCityWest

MotorCityWest

Aug 25, 2013
    Seattle
    I played both LM III and LM Tube 800 out of both the 102P and 151P and they are amazing. Different sounds used individually and never had a problem not being loud enough using both. A certain "fullness" when using both that just rocked imo. Worth the $$$ considering they are on the pricier side of things.

If price is an issue, I would try and find used Markbass and hold tight for a bit if needed. They really do play well together. Can't speak for mixing with other brands.

Since they are Guitar Center only (at least here in US) ...you get 15% off new item plus trade in value of used gear if you have something to get rid of....such as a pedal.

7. ack

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Thanks for all the great advice.
    Yeah $594 for a new 102HF is probably the answer.
    I would like to find a good/used one somewhere - I'd like to find one before midnight when the GC sale ends.

8. 102 HF def the answer. You made the Mark Bass choice so don 't take a chance on something else . I added the NY151 to my Berlin combo and am very glad I did. You will be too.

9. Forgot to mention to check GCs used site. I 've had friends get gear sent to our Nashville store with good results and return policy if not pleased.

10. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I went the cmd102p + 102hf way and I'm happy. Do a search on posts by me and you should be able to see a pic of the tower.

Ah here it is.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1009554

NCD (matching and everything)

11. ack

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking to do.

12. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Finally got to gig with my CMD102P and my new 102HF. It was everything I wanted. I got a ton more volume, more headroom, and when I kicked in the dirt it took it all and said "more please". So nice.

IMG_20131025_191512%255B1%255D.

IMG_20131025_191656%255B1%255D.

13. ack

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    There it is...that's what I'm looking for. Very nice - I bet it sounds a ton!

I went to GC in Raleigh yesterday to see if they had a 102HF in stock. They didn't. The Mgr. checked 240 stores and none of them stock the 102HF.

14. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Clearwater Florida
    I had the MarkBass 15TRV and it was AWESOME...The 2x10 would be great. I run a MB 4x10HR under mine now! MarkBass goes great with MarkBass..Love them all.
    Grab a used one from the Forum here. Always something on sale- or check GC used site- That's where I just picked up another 4x10HR.. BOOM...GOOD LUCK!

15. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Yea I had to order mine, took about 6 weeks to come in. Good news is if you wait for a 15% off sale, you can use the coupon when you make the order or when you pick it up or 30 days later ... or anytime in between.

And the 102HF is really light - 43 lbs (or 1 lb less than the cmd102p) according to the website, but I say it feels lighter.

16. Nice rig CC . Love my Berlin /151 ext. cab . You can officially say this rig is TB approved with matching cabs and vertical placement . Enjoy.

17. ack

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I finally did it. I ordered the 102HF this morning from MF, and I've got my Peavey rig up for sale on CL. I'm looking forward to expanding the CMD 102P and giving it a vertical whirl.
    Thanks for all the advice.