1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good films re: bands in the studio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by blipndub, Oct 20, 2006.

1. I love to watch bands in the studio, to see how they record and produce their music. The U2 dvd when they returned to Ireland for Unforgettable Fire was a great one. But I'm having a hard time finding others. I bought a Radiohead disk about the making of OK Computer but it's just boring English guys raving about the tracks and no content about the recording process itself.

Anyone have some recommendations?

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Have you ever seen Pink Floyd - Live in Pompei? At the back of it they have some great footage of the recording of The Dark Side of the Moon. I always find that movie inspirational.

3. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The 'Classic Albums' series has a lot different music with Hendrix, Marley, the Who, etc. They have been running them on VH1 lately too. They even make some bands I'm not to crazy about look interesting in the studio.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...and Steely Dan's Peg.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I like this band, Black Eyes, they were pretty cool (broke up a year or so ago) and this is footage of them recording their first album with Ian Mackaye.

7. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    wilco has a great documentary.....i cant remember what its called though. deffinitely worth checking out.

8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's called 'I Am Trying To Break Your Heart', great film about a great band. No candy-coating on that one, a warts and all doc including the power struggles that sometimes sinks great bands.

9. it's more of a rehersal and concert film than a studio one... but "Bring on the Night" (Sting) is AWESOME... it's the prep for his first tour and is awesome.