Good Finger Stretching Songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I need suggestions on songs that will help me stretch out my fingers so there like this : \ / instead of this \ / im beginner/intermediate player

Also if anyone can tell me some ways to stretch out my fingers...
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Not too easy to see, but I suppose you want to spread your fingers more than you can do right now.
    Well, spread them when you have the time, no aids, just spread. You can, *very* carefully and not too often, use a table to hook up a finger on and *gently* push downwards.
    And of course, play an awful lot, 'cuz practice does help this.
    Practice also will give you the ability to pivot on your thumb. This will probably add around 3 or 4 frets of reach, within reasonable time.

Did any one ever see this before: practice practice practice :D:D:D:D
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Another one bites the dust (Queen)

Play in F forefinger fret one little finger fret four.
    The main riff contains F G# and Bb work the rest out and have fun not pain.
  4. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Master of Puppets!!!,
    Warning is good too
  5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

play semitones on every string from the first to fourth fret, but don't lift your fingers off the string when skipping to the next one. G string: G#, A, A#, B. D string: D# (keep your other fingers on the G string), E, F, F#. A string: A# (keep your fingers on the D string), B, C, C# and so on. Play quarter notes with a metronome at 60 beats per minute. Take it easy and don't hurt yourself. With time and practice, you'll gain endurance and finger stretching. :)

P.S.: "Another one bites the dust" is originally in open E. The false D# on "Portrait of Tracy" is a really big hand stretching!
  6. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Chameleon by Herbie Hancock is a great hand stretching song. If you play through the whole thing (about 15 minutes!), it'll help your dexterity and stretch your fingers.
  7. "Flow my tears" by Stuart Hamm, er, just the opening phrase to start with! (open E string, 7th fret A string, 9th fret D string, 11th fret G string, followed by the tapped bits.

"Open letter to a landlord" by Living Colour (Vivid album) in F , similar type thing to CS's idea.
  8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    beatles/day tripper with no open string.
  9. "all mixed up" by 311 has a groovy line with F, G# and Bb. pretty stretchy.
  10. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    In the Hall of the Mountain King, ala Edvard Grieg. Not that I like Grieg or anything, but it's a tune that stretches out those fingers a bit.
  11. My pick would be "money" by pink floyd, while playing with no open strings. I've played that song so much and have gone home with my hands sore, but it helps in stretching them out.
  12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    as in "Warning" by Green Day? Thats not really stretching, since its basically scales lol :D
  13. This isn't really a bassline, but try playing the guitar part to the Police's "Message in a Bottle". That should stretch your fingers pretty good. And even though this song consists of only a few notes, "Green Onions" by Booker T. and the MGs has an F, G#, Bb reach as well.
  14. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    the intro of "to defy the laws of tradition"

this bad boy will keep your fingers stretching

oh yeah its by primus
  15. Ooh ooh! Another good song by the Police that you could play. Figure out Andy Summer's guitar part on their hit "Every Breath You Take", which is another finger stretcher!