Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good First song to learn

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jkrobs, Feb 5, 2006.

1. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Hi as some of you know...soon I will get my BB614 Yamaha bass guitar...I can't wait! But can anyone recommend me a good song to learn when I get it? cheers:bassist:

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Pacman's scales.

3. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Pacman's Scales??? is that from Pacman the video Game...you know the chompping little yellow guy? ha ha

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    You must first learn Smoke On The Water before you can move on to scales and such.
    It's just the way it is.:)

KerryC likes this.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :rolleyes: ;)

As important as theory is, particularly early on, when someone gets their first bass or guitar, it's better that they at least try to learn a simple song or two so they can have some fun with it. I've seen lots of new owners give it up if the very first thing they're exposed to and told they should do is theory- they immediately associate it with boring practice and lose the joy of their new instrument. It's okay to wait a month on the scales/modes/theory front.

Pink Floyd's "Money" is a pretty simple, fun bassline that's a good one for beginners.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    bwahaha. That's true. Before you even learn what the strings are, you gotta play Smoke on the Water and NIB.

7. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Cool..Im listening to the song now..
    ta...ta...ta..ta.ta.taa

Any easy 311 songs to play?

8. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Whats NIB?

Trust me Im not giving up on it...fair enought I gave up on my Roland EM-50 Keyboard..but the bass..well Im gonna work hard.

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't know what kind of music you like. I don't know if this is your 1st bass experience. Have you owned other basses in the past? I have no idea what your prior musical experience/knowledge is. I looked at your profile and all I know is that you are "male". :meh:

I'm gonna say; for lack of details, "Johnny B. Goode". Nice and simple 12 bar blues (this is a song form that you should learn). Also, the title of the song is "male".

Joe

10. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    +1

11. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Tyler is right on the money.

What attracted you to the bass? Try and learn something from your favorite artist. Be realistic. The sooner you can start to play something that excites you the better.

A tip; there is software out there that allows you to slow down a track without changing the pitch. In other words it's like having you favorite bassist slow down his licks so you can hear each note a slowly as you like. Slowgold for PC and The Great Slowdowner for Mac. Makes learning stuff way easier. Hope that helps.

12. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    thanks for your help..sorry Ive not long been a menber..hang in there Ill fill my profile in

Oh up the spurs!

13. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    thanks...do you know of ways to get songs from artist..but with just the bass and nothing else.

Like I love Amber from 311 and would love to hear it with just the Bass...

14. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    What's...NIB...? You...I don't...oh my god.

NIB (Nativity in Black) is a song by Black Sabbath. The bassline (by Geezer Butler, at whose holy feet I worship) is pretty simple- easy to learn for a beginner. But there's also a lot of room to throw in some nice fills and things. Yep.

15. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    The first song I ever learned on bass was Back in Black by AC/DC. It most certainly got the ball rolling for me. Once I started listening to a variety of bass lines, that pushed me to learn scales and music theory. The best motivator is the little fire inside you that makes you want to play. Thank God I still have that. :bassist:

16. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Jeezze..Im sorry, No I did not know that one. Should I?

17. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Another common beginner song is Sunshine of Your Love. It's really easy, and it sounds cool.

18. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Hold on..let me write these songs down..

Someone make a list

19. jkrobs

jkrobs

Feb 2, 2006
    Any way to get Amber from 311 with just the bass

20. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    (assuming that was directed at me)
    I was just messin around, man.:smug: