Good first stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wdinc01, Feb 21, 2006.

1. So lately I've been thinking about what I should get as a stack, when the time comes. So could anyone recommend a good one for a beginner, or one as a first one? Not that prices really matter, but if possible try to keep it around $500 and below.

Correct me if I got any names wrong. Also, if someone would be kind enough to explain what each thing does, since I really don't know much about stacks.

Also, what's an ohm?
  2. for a decent beginer stack you'd proly be looking at $800 or under...

i too am looking at starting a rig, and it's expensive stuff! i'd proly recomend used stuff, or behringer or some other lower brand. don't be expecting lots of power at this price too.

you'll need a head and a cab to start off with. the head is like the brain, it makes everything react to your bass. cabs or cabinets are just speakers. different cabs have different speaker configurations, ex 410 simply means four ten inch speakers. look at some other stuff here on TB.

Good luck man!
  3. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses

The Avatar 410, plus the Ashdown Mag head will totally get you rolling for $609 shipped. Or, for that matter, put a used decent 410 under that Ashdown and you will be rattling nads and spending even less dough. I wish I had had access to starter gear of this quality when I was first putting my stage rig together.

Cheap power has come a long way! I definitely suggest the non-combo option for someone just starting to piece together sound/gear. You have way more options for changing up swapping/adding cabs and amps to get "your" sound. If you want to change up a combo you have to start over.
  4. chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    I'm looking at putting together a rig too.

I was also looking at the Ashdown head, i got to play one at a little music store not far from my college.

As far as cabs i haven't decided...i'm going against 2 4x10 guitar amps and i've played out of an SWR 2x10...can't recall the power of the head, but it wasn't turned up past 2.

I might just get the ashdown 2x10 combo and save up for a cab to throw under it as needed...

...but who am i kidding its all wishful thinking, im broke like crazy.

oh, and btw bigfatbass, that is a real real cute stack-
  5. I managed to find these things locally,
    Used Peavey Firebass 700 -$300
    Used Avatar B410 Neo -$275

Thats an awesome set-up for $575. Look on ebay and here on talkbass for used gear. Peavey gear is always plentiful and usually cheap. Stay away from Behringer and anything else that looks too good to be true, because it probably is.
  6. oc-bass

Sep 9, 2005
    Hey DeadRBassistNJ, I have that same head and am looking at that cab, how do they sound together?
  7. Your best buy is to go used, and look for old Peavey stuff. The Mark series of heads (I,II, etc) are almost a rite of passage. Countless people started out on Peavey gear, and it stands the test of time. Cheap, reliable, decent sound, and heavy.
  8. OH, by the way The "Head" is the amplifier (amp) itself, the smaller box that sits on top of the speaker cabinets. Someone will be along to explain about ohms, or i am sure theres a FAQ around here somewhere that can help.
  9. Thanks guys. Although if all goes well, good beginnger gear will be cheaper when I actually get around to using it.

Also, what's a power amp? I thought it was a head, but I'm not sure.
  10. A power amp is an amplifier that basically amplifies the signal; it's given. Usually very little or no tone controls. And you can't plug a bass into it and rock the town. A power amp needs what is called line level signal, which is more powerful than the instrument level signal a bass (even one with active electronics) puts out. A power amp will need to be used with a pre-amp. The preamp will take your instrument signal, let you fiddle with th esound with EQ knobs and such, and amplify it to line level, then you can plug THAT into a power amp.
  11. It sounds tight. You get pretty good lows and the cab controls the peavey's powerful mids. It can be a nice smooth fat tone, or a really edgy tone if you want. It's a nice cab that can cover a variety of sounds.
  12. Ashdown MAG!

300 watt head for $300
    4x10 mag cabinet for $300 (or a 1x15 for 250)

its 600 but its close enough.