Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Five string for around 350?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 22, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for a good five string in the 300-400 range, and am fairly sure I don't want a fender (floppy b string). What would you reccomend? Good=best bang for my buck, all areas. I just want some reference points (companys, models, ect.)

2. status groove, not sure how many dolars they are, but i know thye're around that mark.

i have an alterior motive i wanna know what they're like!

you could possibly pick up a warwick streamer 5 string for a few more bucks?

i think spector make 5 strings, about that price range.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They do now have a Status Groove bass in the Brighton "Guitar Amp and Keyboard" shop, local to me - they must have moved it when they had a big re-organisation. The basses got squashed into the corridor as they now have so many guitars. It really annoys me that they have several Parker Fly Guitars and PRS ones that are over £2,000, amongst the hundreds of guitars, but they don't have any decent basses. I never buy anything there normally anyway - always go to London for decent gear.

The Status Groove 5-string they have is £500. I don't like the look of it - odd, ugly headstock and very "slab-like". So uncomfortable-looking that I wasn't able to bring mysef to try it. It looks like a cardboard cut-out of a real bass! It looks pretty ugly next to all the Fender MIM Jazz basses they have which are about £300, so I don't think they will sell it soon.

4. interesting, i thought it looked nice on paper, but then you just can't tell until you see them in the flesh can you.

5. Bruce Lindfield

I'll have a go on it, next time in the shop, as there seem to have been a few enquiries about these. After all, it doesn't really matter what it looks like, if it sounds good, within limits of course! But I don't think I'd buy one, as it looks as if it would be quite uncomfortable - you never know though...

6. Bruce Lindfield

That actually does look nice :

[​IMG]

...the one in the Brighton shop looks nothing like this. It's sunburst and with plastic bits round the edges, no contouring and the headstock looks "twisted". The hardware is also plastic. I do notice though that in the Bass Centre info, theY mention red, white or natural as colours, but the picture is clearly metallic and the jpg is labelled as "Groosilv" implying that tHis is a silver version - maybe they've slipped in a picture of a "special edition" to tempt unwary browsers! ;)

7. Does look kinda 'groovey' dunnit...

Not too sure about the fret markers though - you just cant beat dots.

I tried to post the picture too, but my brain started to over-heat when I couldnt cut & paste it!

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

You can get Yamaha BBG5 for around 400 bucks.
    :) :) :)