1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good flats for a 5er?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by purpletornado, May 3, 2010.

1. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    Thinking of stringing my Ibanez 5er with flats. Anyone have any recommendations brand wise?

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I've been using D'Addario Chromes on my SR505 for 17 years now, so you could say I recommend them.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Sadowsky flats!!!!

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I just changed from Sadowskys to TIs on my P5.

I like them both a lot, but the TIs are really something special IMO.

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Thomastik Jazz flats-they really are a cut above the rest.

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    No, just bouncier;) I like them but find them too bouncy for everything.

7. A set of GHS Brite Flats or Precision Flats (sorry, gotta buy the B string seperately) would sound good.

8. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Chromes for me...I'm a recent flats convert.

9. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Just bought my first 5'er. As a long time P player, I saw/heard the light and fell hard for flats. This 2003 Carvin B5 I just picked up came w/ a newish set of rounds. I thought I'd at least wear them out plus I always figured most 5 players used rounds...silly me. I'm ready to pull the rounds after a week. So this is an informative thread for me. I've used chromes (on my P's) forever but I'm up for any other suggestions. What are TI's?

10. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    TI = Thomastik Infeld

Lot of folks really rave about these strings. The main thing I've read through here is that they don't seem to have as much tension as others giving them a floppy or bouncy feel as mentioned above. And, they're pretty expensive. I'd like to try some at some point but have been extremely pleased with the Chromes. Plus, from what I've read from people that have played both is that the Chromes are a little brighter than the TI's. I like the mellow sound of the flats but I also like that the Chromes seem to have a zing to them as well.

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I used chromes on my SR905. Loved 'em.

I really dig the E-G string in the TI flats 5 string set but the B was a bit too mushy-sounding for my tastes.

12. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    How about LaBellas? Either the Deep Talkin' or the Original 1954 Jamerson sets?

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I personally hate LaBella everything. I have yet to find a set of strings they make for any instrument where I don't find the low strings too lose and the hight strings too tight. Some people like this, I don't.

14. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    Definitely not looking for a floppy B string.

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    One way to go might be to get a few Bs as singles and see what one you like then get a whole set to match [this is a common thing in the DB world] later.

Then there are gauges.. For years I had to order chromes in singles to get the set I wanted [now they make it for 4 so I still get the B as a single] for the string to string balance I like.

That said I guess one could do so with LaBella, but have no fear there are other things I don't like about them.... But as always I am just me you might love the things.

16. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    Ever tried the D'Addario Chromes?

Does a higher gauge number = higher tension?

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    ;)

Yes. I have a bass set up with a really heavy set of them, cool sound.

18. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    Oops, guess my reading comprehension skills are a bit rusty. Thanks for the info.

19. SquierBender

SquierBender

Oct 22, 2009
    #1 infinity
    Yes.