Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good flats for a fretless 5?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steamboat, Nov 9, 2000.

1. I just got a fretless MM Stingray 5 with a rosewood board and I'd like to try out some flats (true flatwounds, groundwounds, halfrounds, pressurewounds.. whatever I can get in a 5 string set). It came with rounds on it (D'Addarios I think from the silk colors) and I really like the tone, but I want to go to something that won't wear down my fingerboard. I also really like the feel of flats, especially when sliding around on a fretless.

Ideally the string would be relatively bright for a flat and give me a bit of growl.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I have Thomastik Jazz Flats on my 5 string Hoyt, pau ferro board, and I like them a lot. A very lively, musical flatwound string.

3. Thomastiks seem to have a pretty good rep.. I'll give them a try if I can find them. What would you say is a fair price for a set?

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Mid-upper $40 or so as I recall. They last a long time

5. SFB

SFB Guest

If you like the tone of the round wound D'Addario's try
    the flat wound D'Addario's.I have the ECB81-5 High Finish
    Ribbon Wound,Soft Gauge,Long Scale strings on my Yahama
    BB5NII.I think they sound good but to each his and or her own.If you try them let me know what you think.