Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Folk Albums/Artists

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Does anyone know any? I have a bunch of 60's folk-rock albums, but I'm more interested in the raw, early stuff. I have Dylan, the Band, been through the Birds and Neil Young.

One girl at the radio station here has a folk show on before me, so maybe I'll ask her to. But I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions?

2. ever listen to The Pogues? Some of their stuff isn't as folk, but it's great stuff.

Though I suggest you avoid their work with Joe Strummer, as cool as that collaboration may sound. Shane MacGowan made that band.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Yeah, I have Rum, Sodomy and the Lash. Great album, I also have a couple of Shane's stuff w/ Popes.

4. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    For raw and early I would suggest Odetta, Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, Pete Seeger and the Weevers. Ramblin Jack Elliott and Seeger were also part of the 60s stuff though.

Right off the top of my head, those are the ones that spring to mind. As for the 60s revival stuff, a search for folk rock will bring up a pretty exhaustive list.