Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Four String Slap Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aceofbass88, Feb 24, 2003.

1. aceofbass88

aceofbass88

Jul 23, 2002
    Anyone know of a good four string bass for slapping, that is about 300-400 dollars. I need one to complement my 6 and 6 fretless. Hopefully it is fast. I was thinking Ibanez SR series, Fender Standard Jazz bass or OLP MM3
    Thanks

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ibanez SRs have a natorious narrow string spacing. If you can over come that...I still dont like em. :D

I personally would go with a Fender. Besides the standard run of the mill fender being pretty damn good they are the most up gradalbe bass ever. You can always add new pups, bridge, tuners...you name it. If you dont like one aspect of the bass it is fairly easy and cost effective to upgrade. The downside is Fenders they do put out some crap stuff. Make sure you play the one you buy before you buy it. I personally have never run into a bad one but ther are some who have.

I wouldnt really waste my time with the OLP.

3. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    The OLP actually is quite a value, if your planning on playing super funky slap it might be a good alternative to the fender. Although if you like tonal variety, its not a great choice. It was the first bass i bought and i got it purely cause i was immature in bass playing and i thought slappin to be the holy grail of bass playing, but if i had too choose know i definately would go with a MIM fender or a dean.

4. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    May wanna look at a passive rockbass corvette.

Also, the SR's are good shiznit. I slap on them just dandy and I R fat.

My bass teacher and I both have Ibanez GSR 200s, and they sound fine for slap... Run one of those mothers through a peavey and OUCH! Dandy sound!

Fender P's, I hate the slap tone. Terrible IMO.

:bassist:

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    the spacing on my ibanez SR4 is the same as on a J bass. the neck is a little thinner though. (Its an SR800A) its in a state of disrepair, but i really miss it. was a great bass. Couldnt use heavy gauge strings on it though, too much for the thin neck to handle. Play it first, but I loved mine..... dearly departed...

6. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    there's also used Korean Spectors in that price range. I slap on mine and I like it.

7. Agreed!! I'd reccommend checking ebay for a used NS2000/4. They are great basses for the money and have a grat slap sound.

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I do some slappin on a Korean spector 5 (narrow string spacing anyone? :D) and an ibanez SR..since I'm a 5 guy i guess teh tight spacing on the SR doesn't bother me. Both basses have a completely different slap tone though, depends on your preference. I am no good at decribing slap tone really, but the SR has more of a Claypool sound while the Spector is not quite as sharp sounding. That was probably useless though. :p