1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good FREE collection of canned drum beats?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gilmourisgod, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Not sure where this belongs, Moderator please move if this is the wrong thread. I owned a Roland drum machine back in the 80's, and realized I suck at writing drum lines. That one is long gone, and haven't owned one since. Is there a good online drum simulator that has a decent range of pre-recorded beat? Just looking for something to fool around with for headphone jamming, nothing studio quality required. I have been checking out the Beat Buddy pedal, but free is always good too!

2. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Not sure about free, but Songsterr on Android is worth looking at. Songsterr online offers free playback (like a trial version), but wants $10/month for all the features. The phone app was a one-time payment. I can't find the receipt, but I doubt it was more than $10.

You have access to a LOT of MIDI songs (they claim 500,000). With the paid version of the phone app, you can select the instrument to focus on (full volume; drums for you) and the others play at a much lower volume. I plug my phone into the AUX input on my Rumble and play along.

Another option it Guitar Pro (Android app FINALLY updated so it can now handle GP7 files). It links directly to MySongBook (very good to excellent MIDI transcriptions). Not free, but good for songs you really want to learn.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  3. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Gilmourisgod and TheMaartian like this.
  4. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    Have a look at DrumDrops.

Not "free", but their stem packs/etc are not expensive and are all brilliant quality professional recordings of real kits. You get a free pack and a 20% discount off your first purchase when you sign up.

I signed up and cherry-picked a bunch of drum stems for my 20% discount that gave me a broad selection of tempos/rhythms to practice to for a few bucks.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  5. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I was unaware of this site. It will be interesting to compare it to JamKazam. Thanks for the heads-up!

farace likes this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thanks All, that Wikiloops site is great! Gonna dig around there first and branch out into paid apps if I can't find what I want. Real kits always sound better, don't they?

G-Z and farace like this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Drum Monkey lets you make your own.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

tons/thousands of youtube videos of real drummers playing grooves for 3-4 minutes to 20+ minutes. google is your friend. good luck! :thumbsup:

Gilmourisgod likes this.