Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good fretless 5's for around 500 bucks??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey TB freaks, I need to know yall's opinions on which fretless 5's are the best for around $500.00 or so. Also, why you recommend this particular bass. Thanks guys! later..

G.Wesley

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Cort Artisan B5FL. Sounds very good, looks good, plays very well.

3. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Brad, It's listed $850.
    It can be found at 500 ?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mars sells them for around $550.

When I was looking for a fretless 5, this was the only one that I played under $1200 that I liked.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that it only has side dots for the 3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,21 & 24 'fret' positions. Without lines, unless you are a very experienced fretless guy(I wasn't, but I'm getting there;)) I prefer the dot sidemarkers where the frets would be. I played it a few times at Mars(great tone!!!! tons of mwaahhh!!!!) and got lost pretty easily.

5. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    MusicYo.com has fretless Steinberger's for $320.

Can't say much about the quality, though. They're not in stores, as far as I know, so you can't try them out. They do have a 30 day return policy so it might be worth checking them out.

I do know that they're wood bodies and not the composite material of the original Steinbergers.

Anyone out there have any experience with these basses? I would like to hear any good/bad news about these.

6. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Thats not a bad looking bass. I went to the Cort.com site and checked it out. However The one that caught my eye was the Cort Curbow fretless 5 which is in the same price range as the B5FL. Personally I love the way this bass looks! Very sexy. It's made of luthite so I don't know how that would affect the tone but I have played a couple of these at Mars and like them very much. I will wait to make my decision though until I try one of those Artisans you guys are talkin about.

Keep the replies comin!

G.Wesley

7. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I played the cort corbow 5 fretted and I was impressed by the tone and weight but not by the look or the way is sat on my knee. It just kept on falling of.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry, it's been about a year since I last priced one new. The 4 was $449 and I remember the 5 being not much more. I'd say what Jeff says sounds right.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wes, the Cort Curbow may do it for you, it's a real looker, that's for sure.

It didn't do it for me, for 3 reasons.

• Tone is not as good as the Artisan(not enough mwaahh for me:)).
    • Does not set good on the knee, must be played with a strap at all times. Of course, if you use a strap all of the time, this wouldn't bother you.
    • I don't like 1 pickup basses, I like a lot of tonal options from the electronics, although you can get a wide range of tones just with your technique, so I guess this is strictly a matter of taste.

Of all of the under $1200 fretless 5's that I played, this was the only one that I came close to liking, besides the Artisan.

If you can, try to play them both, your tastes and ears may be different than mine, so the Curbow might be more to your liking than it is to mine.

Good Luck!:)

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Wes, watch out for the plastic fingerboard!
    Affects the sound, and to me the feel is discusting. Didn't much like the slippery surface of the body, either.

11. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey thanks for the advise fellas. I am torn between the two basses because I love the look and lightness of the C-Curbow, but the Artisan's tone is aparently better. It would be great if I could get a bass that looked like the Curbow but sounded like the Artisan. I thought about getting a luthier to make it like that but I'm sure that would end up costing me more than I wanna pay. Damn, decisions decisions.

keep the opinions comin cats!

Wes