Good fretless fives?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Apr 20, 2003.

1. I'm going to get about 500 dollars for my birthday, and i was in the market for a fretless five. What are some good fretless fives that are marketed for a bassist on a budget?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well, obviously you are going to get lots of "ESSEX!" replies...

So, Essex would probably be good... you could look at a carvin.

I'm playing my friends Ibanez fretless 5 (Modified by gary willis, thank ye very much ;) )

It plays very well, i'm just not sure what the model is. He bought it fretted.

Look at carvin, essex, or look around for used warwicks. Those things play so nicely.
  3. Dean I think. If not get a used.....something. Or a TBC if you can afford one
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Check out the MTD imports, they're good stuff. Can be had used for less than that.
  5. I'd get myself a Fender Jazz V Standard Fretless.
  6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    look for a good used carvin or lakland man!
  7. Talk to the Bass Guru, I don't know if he still has his Warwick Fortress for sale. He might want a little more money though
  8. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    buy a used squier P and defret it.....then spend the rest on some wood and tools, then make yer own!
  9. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Right on. I love the Lakland fretless. A good used Skyline 55-01 would be be awesome. Or like Mike money said, go Essex or Brice.
  10. Check out Aria. My IGB-68 fretless five, while being a bit above your budget (it's $650ish, I *think*) is a fantastic bass.

*needs to get picture*
  11. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    DEFINATELY MTD Kingston or a used Carvin. Both are great basses, and you could easily find one in your price range.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I bought my Made In Korea Dean Edge 5 Fretless Dec 31, 1999 for a little over $400 at a local shop. sells Deans, and they have some beautiful quilt top versions out now. I love this bass more every time I play it. It's comfortable, looks pretty, and sounds great. And since I put flats on it playing it is even more of a pleasure. I play it at church many Sundays, and did today, and it really does the trick. I've had a very pleasurable ownership experience with this fine bass. The neck has been stable and the electronics haven't crackled once. It plays and looks like new.

Here's a picture, beautiful isn't it?

If you want to hear it in action, click this link to hear me playing it in my brother Andrew Hamm's song "Strange Education". If you're interested in a more rockin' song, listen to "Calling Me Back", another song by my brother Andrew.

Another bass to look at is the Cort Curbow. It's made in the same Cort factory that turned out my Dean. I've played the Curbows, and though they're not my style, they are excellent basses.
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Xavier, finding a fretless jazz V is easier said than done. I was lookign for one for awhile and haven't seen one pop up local or on ebay for at least a month, maybe I'm not lookin at the right places. I'm not sure what the list is on them new either...

Nice Dean Philbiker! I was lookign at an amber fretless dean 5 the other day for $350.. just bought an essex jazz though so I can't afford a fretless to replace my old 5 I sold for awhile. Dean is discontinuing those fretless 5's I heard though, so only used and old stock will be available soon. :meh:
  14. Hmmmm. I walked into a local store (Tom Lee Music) about a month ago and asked for one. They didn't have one in stock, but the salesperson got on the phone to who knows where and then told me they could order one in and I could have it in about 2 weeks. $585 Canadian!
  15. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Shoot can't beat that...I think that's about $400 at most US. I see standard MIM jazz 4's going for $400 at most of the music stores here. When I do get around to picking up a new fretless 5 it will probably eba jazz and I'll replace the nut for a high C instead of a low B. I really like the way chord stuff sings on a fretless.
  16. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Well yeah, I still have the "dildo bass" I've been trying to sell it for a couple of months, I even lowered the price, the fortress are great basses but they're not very popular :meh:

17. Fender don't make them. I'm going to have to get mine de-fretted; the whole thing would cost me a bit under $2000 Australian bucks - 1,300 for the actual bass, then around about 200 to get it defretted and then another 150 to get the machine heads replaced.

Damned Fender... and to get it custom made it would cost me 5000. I don't have that kind of money working off a Hungry jack's (Burger King) wage!!!!!! :mad: :bawl:

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Do they have Warmoth in Austraila? You may be better off starting from scratch.
  19. Since when? They still advertise them on their website.

$1300 for a Standard Jazz V ???????? Holy #$@%%#$!
  20. An Ibanez EDA905F. They're $669.00 at Musiciansfriend. What a great sounding bass.

How do I know? I just bought one, but, had to send it back for a replacement because the piezo tone pot was pushed into the body!

WHY, WHY, WHY???

I only played it for about an hour, but, the variety of sounds is very impressive. I'll post a review IF I ever get it back.

Seriously, put this one on your list people.

Mike :bawl: